Chapter Eighteen

Chapter 18

DR. MIKE

“Mariam, meet Dr. Mike, Mike meet Mariam, Cindy’s mother.”

Did she just say Cindy’s mother?

Or perhaps I misheard her?

No, I don’t think so. I mean, my sight may be bad but my hearing is quite impeccable.

We both stood there looking at each other in surprise, the shock on both our faces pretty evident especially when I realized that all that Mariam had told me was about Cindy.

I started to panic a little. “Grace, have you heard anything from the doctors yet?”

She shook her head in the negative.

I squared my shoulders and gave them both nod. “I’m going in.”

Cindy’s mother grabbed me by the arm, halting me in my tracks. “Are you sure they’ll let you in?”

I smirked. “I’m a doctor, remember? They’ll need all the help they can get.”

I barged into the ward. “God, Cindy!”

There she was, my little. All color had drained from her face, and she seemed to be in so much pain.

If the other doctors caught even a whiff that I was acquainted with her in a way that was more than acceptable, I was going to get the boot. I schooled my features into a blank professional one. “How can I help?”

********

It had been very tough, but we did it!

Cindy was now a proud mother of a bouncy baby girl, and I was a… well what was I exactly?

A proud grandpa?

I guess you could call me that. Especially with the new feelings developing inside me for the young girl’s mother.

Well, I was attracted to the woman, something that had happened so fast that it left me so shocked and confused.

I followed my colleague doctors out to share the good news with the two women anxiously waiting outside while the nurses stayed behind to help Cindy clean up.

To say the women were overjoyed was an understatement. Cindy’s mum even threw her arms around me in a hug leaving us both surprised and shocked at its suddenness.

Grace threw me a subtle link and smirked.

Mariam looked at me with a big smile on her face. “Thank you saw much Dr. Mike… for everything you’ve done and are still doing for my daughter. I have no idea how I can repay you, but I know that the Lord I serve will abundantly replenish everything you have lost.”

I smiled back shyly. I really hated being put on the spot, especially with Grace being there to watch it all. My friend knew me so well and could tell that I had some kind of feelings for Mariam. “Amen Mariam, it was really a pleasure taking care of your daughter, and I can assure you that I see her as my very own and love her just as much.”

We stood staring at each other for what seemed like an eternity until one of the nurses opened the door. We all turned our attention to her. “You can see her now, but please, one at a time.” She said.

“I think it’s only right that you go in first, Mariam.” Grace said with a smile. I nodded in support.

“Thank you all very much. I’m really glad my daughter met really wonderful people like you.”

We watched her enter the room.

Grace turned to me with a smirk. “You like her, don’t you?

I decided to play dumb. “I- I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

She just grinned. “Cut the crap, Mike. I know you.”

“Okay, fine, fine. I admit that I am attracted to her, but I barely know the woman, it could be that I just felt pity for her when I met her.”

“Pity?”

I explained the way we met to her.

“Oh, makes sense. But I still think there’s more than pity involved.” She declared thoughtfully.

She was really right. I haven’t felt like this in a long time and I could not understand where these feelings were from. It was weird because I felt like I was young again.

Cindy was doing fine likewise her daughter.

I was so proud of my daughter.

I was honestly overjoyed even though the female population in my house was rising at an alarming rate, but I loved everything about it.

I was later on allowed to go in after Grace did, and I was swept away with joy when I saw the tiny human in her mother’s arms suckling like nobody’s business.

She was beautiful, just like her mum and grandma.

“How are you feeling, child?” I asked Cindy, smiling at the worn out look on her face. Pregnancy and childbirth really weren’t easy.

She looked tired which was expected after the hard work she had to endure, but she was all smiles staring at her creation.

Mariam’s POV

Telling the stranger doctor about my problems made me much better, but finding out who he was made me very embarrassed.

When Cindy told me about the kind man who had helped her out, I honestly didn’t put a name to the face, but he definitely wasn’t someone I would have even envisioned.

He was very handsome.

What?

I shook my head trying to clear off those thoughts and rejoiced with my daughter. We were all able to see them now. It’s been two days, and Cindy is much better, my granddaughter is also very healthy.

They were being discharged today.

My granddaughter was so precious, she looked just like Cindy when I had her.

My two lovely girls.

Cindy handed the little bundle of joy to me, still looking so tired. “You seriously scared us baby, don’t do that again.” I said to Cindy as I remembered the horror plastered on her face as we saw the blood.

I am honestly grateful that everything ended perfectly.

Grace had seen the little child many times now, but her eyes always became teary, it was so cute. She held her for a little and passed her on to Dr. Mike who had managed to clear his schedule a little to come check up on us.

He cooed at her so adorably for a while and then gently handed her back to me. I was startled to see how intensely he was staring at me.

In that moment, my heart went out to the man. I was amazed at how much of a good person he was. This man didn’t owe us anything, but still decided to take my pregnant daughter in and make her life better, better than I could offer her.

He was indeed God sent.

*****

Cindy and the baby were resting, and Grace, Dr. Mike and I were at the hospital cafeteria trying to get something to eat.  Honestly speaking, the food wasn’t so good, but the drinks were a lot better.

I got to know more about the man who saved my daughter and I was finding it hard not to get attracted to him. He was so selfless and he didn’t even know it.

I was having emotions I couldn’t explain.

I haven’t been interested in any man after Cindy’s dad and I wanted to keep it that way.

But a certain doctor was making it hard.

🍒