Chapter seven

Cindy's POV
(I was about to step out when Thelma stopped me)
"Being a maid must suck, but you should know your place" Thelma said, she continued when she didn't get any reaction from me. "People like you should know where you belong, and if you want to continue to work here, you'd better watch your back." She said and turned towards the bags on the bed and waved her hand dismissing me.

I walked out quietly, trying hard to restrain myself from punching her in the face. Not like I could do that even if I had the chance.

I walked to the kitchen and saw Janet reading, she was so into the book, that she didn't notice when I sneaked behind her and whispered into her ears. She jumped out of her seat with shock written all over her face, her book flying out of her hands.

"What was that for?" She asked looking very annoyed.
"Nothing, I just wanted to scare you. And it worked." I replied laughing at her reaction.

"So how did it go with Brian" she asked.

"It went well, he was surprised at first but we settled our differences and now we're good."

"That's good I told you it was going to be okay." She grinned.

(5:00pm the same day)
The day went by quickly and Janet and I started dinner. Mr. and Mrs. Smith said they would be having dinner out today so we had to cook for only Brain, Thelma, Lisa and the rest of the maids. We worked in silence and within an hour the meal was ready. Janet dished out the meal and I set the table.

I was done and about to head back to the kitchen when Brian entered the house. His face immediately brightened up when he saw me. He walked towards me and slowly pulled me into his arms.

I push him away when I start to get comfortable. I didn't want Mrs. Smith to see her son with me.

"Why what's wrong?" Brian asked with a frown.
"I don't want your mum having a heart attack when she sees us together." I said trying to look serious and Brian's frown deepened. He seemed deep in thought.

"I think I have an idea" Brian said after a while.
"I'm going to introduce you to my mum." Brian smiled happy with his idea.

"What do you mean by introduce, because the last time I checked your mum knows I exist and work here." I stated incredulously.

Brian sighed. "You know what I mean, I'm going to tell her that we are dating, then we won't have to hide anymore if we want to go out.
"Brian!" I exclaimed. "That's not a good idea at all, besides we only went on one date and  that doesn't mean anything. We are not in any form of relationship so I don't think that's necessary."

"You should know by now that once I express interest in someone, it'd mean we are basically in a relationship. This is why I want to make things official." Brian argued.

I stared at him starstruck. What did he mean by we are in a relationship? I could feel my temper rising and I struggled to control it. "We went on a date once, that doesn't mean anything, and don't you think you are moving too fast? Besides I don't remember agreeing to be your girlfriend so you can't just make assumptions."

Brian rubbed his face in frustration. He looked fed up and for a while I thought we were done. But then he looked at me with determination in his eyes.
"Alright then." He said.

" Cindy Will you do me the honour and be my girlfriend?"
I looked at him in shock, I was feeling a lot of things...I mean it's hard to explain. I was touched that he wanted to make things right and equally pissed that he didn't seem to get it. There would be a lot of hurdles should I accept his proposal but he didn't seem to understand. He had it easy, being rich and all. I was going to be the one dealing with all the complications.

I slowly exhaled through my mouth. "Look Brian. This is a huge decision to make, and I before you say it, love isn't the only factor to consider. Your parents' approval is also equally important."

This time I could see that Brian was upset . He seemed shattered and weary. " I don't understand Cin. I've tried my best to assure you that we'll be okay...that I'll make sure of it. I know how I feel...and it may be too soon but I'm willing to do everything to  make this work... to make us work. You have to meet me at least half way through."

He came close and wiped the tears I didn't know were streaming down my face. "Cindy say yes. Be my girlfriend. Please Cin."

His eyes shined with affection, or was it love? I couldn't really tell. His speech touched my heart and weakened my defenses. I felt myself nodding before realising it. I had great affection for the man standing before me. For all I know it could be love but then I have no idea what that feels like. All I know is that he makes me feel safe and comfortable and that works for me. I was scared, very scared to think about the what ifs, but worrying changes nothing- mother herself says this all the time. I was going to jump into this and give it my all, at least if we don't work out, I know that I had lived and learned some life lessons as well.

"Yes Brian. Yes. I will be your girlfriend." I laughed at his excitement.  He looked younger and carefree and I felt really happy to have given us a shot.

"Alright girlfriend." He winked at me causing me to grin like some love struck idiot.
"Now about meeting my parents-"

"Whoa boyfriend. Jeez relax. Let's not rush into things. One step at a time okay?"

Brian sighed.

What did you think about the Chapter?
Thanks for reading and don't forget to hit the little star  button on your way out😊.
See you in the next chapter.