Chapter Twenty-two

Chapter 22

Cindy’s POV

Well if you haven't  figured it out by now, I'll tell you.

Sam is my fiancé.

He’s a good guy, I'm actually very lucky to have him you know?

It's funny how when he started pursuing me, I initially hated his guts.

We met at the neighborhood’s park, one cool afternoon. Kayla was just three years old then and the weather was too perfect to not go on a walk.

He just happened to be walking his dog that day, a very cute brown and white collie that even I could not help but admire. I must have been staring for quite too long, because before I knew it, Kayla had torn her hand away from mine and was dashing towards the dog at amazing speed.  I swore under my breath and chased after her. My little girl was a very passionate animal lover even at such a young age, but my only concern in that moment was to make sure the dog didn't harm her in any way.

flashback

Kayla made it to this handsome stranger and his dog before I did, but he thankfully held on to her before she could touch the animal. “Woah, princess, you don't just touch any dog like that, okay? It can hurt you.” He explained, tone gentle.

“But I wanna touch it.” Kayla pressed stubbornly, her mouth taking on that cute pout most people found hard to say no to.

With a small sigh, he instructed his pet to sit, and stay still, while he guided my daughter as she run her hands through the collie's beautiful fur. I smiled as I watched them, slowing my run to a lazy walk now that I was almost near them. Sam and I shared a glance and I smiled shyly, mouthing a little thank you to him for helping me out.

He didn't smile back.

Instead, he threw me the nastiest scowl he could muster.

“Mommy, uncle allowed me to touch the dog.” Kayla squealed as she joy-hopped back to me.

“Now, what have I told you about dashing off, Kay?” I admonished lightly.

“Sorry mommy.” She had the grace to be ashamed of her actions.

Good.

I opened my mouth to say thank you to the man for managing to control my little girl before things got out of hand, but he beat me to it.

“You should learn to take better care of your daughter, you know? She could have gotten hurt!”

I know he was making valid points, but his patronizing tone just made me lose it.

“You know, if you'd learn to keep a leash on your animal, I'm sure we won't be having this problem in the first place. This park is mainly for children, so if you know your dog is wild, why not keep it on a leash then?”

“Stop fighting! Doggie doesn't like that.” Kayla interrupted sadly, her tiny hands brushing the Collie's fur.

I tried to get my temper under control. “I'm sorry. I shouldn't have lashed out like that. You did make some valid points after all.”

He nervously brushed the nape of his neck and cleared his throat. “I'm also sorry for lashing out like that, I promise I'm not this much of a jerk on most days.”

I chuckled at that. “Well, aren't we all?”

I scooped Kayla up in my arms. “Let's go home, honey.”

“Noooo. Mommy!” She tried to squirm.

“No Kay. We're done for the day.”

“Alright, mommy.” She leaned her head against my shoulder in resignation as I turned to the dark handsome stranger. “Well… thanks again.” I turned to leave.