Late Night Drives

The motorway was empty.  A straight line of never ending orange lights and white lines. The trees didn't seem to end and the radio was turned down to a low buzz. Alex was driving, his attention straight ahead, both hands on the wheel and his eyes occasionally flicking to the girl next to him. 

Y/N had her head resting on the window, despite how cold the glass was. She could feel the car humming as it moved. 

The couple sat in total silence. If anyone else had been there they might've thought they'd been in an argument. But they hadn't. They were just people who enjoyed the nostalgia and the comfort of a lonely motorway at night. There was something in it, a feeling of euphoria and utter adoration for one another, as they occasionally, and silently, checked on each other.

The quiet was broken by Alex, "You okay?" He asked, the car slowing slightly but still going.

Y/N hummed in response. A non-verbal, "Yes." 

"Wanna put something on the radio?" He asked. 

"Not unless you want to." She shuffled in her seat so she could get a good look at him. He had long hair, and a sharp face. His hair sat like a cloud around his head, soft and brown, and she had the urge to reach out and play with it. 

Alex's eyes met hers and a slight smile appeared on his face as she said, "You look so pretty under the lights." His eyes lit up slightly, and a soft chuckle filled the car.

See, they were coming back from Alex's final show. It was halfway across from where they lived in London, which meant a long drive with all of Alex's stuff shoved into the boot and the backseat of the car. Sometimes something moved and made a noise, but for the most part there were no disturbances. 

"I missed you." He said, and now it was Y/N's turn to smile. 

"I missed you too." She said. 

They passed a services, the fluorescent lights passing through the car, "I Love you."  "I love you too." 

"Wanna get some shit food?" 

"Yeah."