~ 19 ~

Mikyung shot to her feet, suddenly feeling dizzy. "What? What's wrong? Is he okay?" she asked, half-shouting over the phone.  

"He collapsed due to exhaustion and is asleep now, but with some rest, he should be back to normal within the week. We need you to come to fill out some papers," the nurse explained over the phone. 

"Okay, yes, I'll be right there!" she said, her hands shaking as she started collecting her things. She hung up the phone, stuffing it into her jacket pocket. Her eyes were filled with tears: she was scared. 

"Mikyung, what's wrong?" Haknyeon asked, anxiety in his voice. 

"My father's in the hospital," she whispered, her voice wavering. Tears fell down her face as she put her stuff back in her book bag. "They said he's okay. Everything is fine, I just need to go fill out some forms. Gosh, everything is fine so why am I like this?" she said softly, wiping at her tears in annoyance. 

Haknyeon got up, wrapping his arms around her in a hug. She allowed herself to be held for a moment, closing her eyes tight and leaning her head against his chest. 

"You make me feel safe," she whispered. 

"I'm glad," he whispered back. "I hope I can always be your safe place." 

"I'm scared," she said. "I don't know why but I'm so scared." 

"Hey, look at me," he said softly, leaning out of the embrace and crouching down so they were eye level. She bit her lip nervously, trying to hold his gaze. 

"Take a deep breath," he told her. "And remember what the nurse said. You said they told you your father was okay, right? Don't worry. Take deep breaths, and let's go there together. Everything will be fine." 

"You'll go there with me?" she asked, looking up at him with wide, trusting, eyes. 

"Of course," he said, taking her hand and squeezing it. He didn't let go of her hand as they ran together to the bus stop, or not even when they found seats side by side on the bus. He kept holding her hand, his presence grounding her and reminding her that he was right, everything was fine. She didn't have to worry. 

"Mikyung... you're going to have to pay more hospital fees now," Haknyeon said slowly. "And your dad... will he be able to work?" 

"I think the nurse said he should rest for a week?" she said, sighing and closing her eyes, laying her head on his shoulder. "I don't know how we're going to do it," she admitted. "Maybe I should just drop out and go work," she half-joked. 

"I can lend you the money," he said, speaking so quickly that it took her a moment to understand him. 

She lifted her head from his shoulder so that she could look at him. "What? I can't-" 

"Mikyung," he said softly. "I'm not offering to pay for everything, I promise. Just your father's, and I can cover your mother's until your father is able to work again. And you can pay it back, slowly. I'm not giving it to you, I'm letting you borrow it," he said, squeezing her hand. "Let me help you, hm?" 

She blinked at him, tears welling up her eyes again. She reached forward, giving him an awkward hug before resting her head on his shoulder again. "I'll work hard and pay you back as soon as possible," she promised. 

"Take your time," he said gently. 

Mikyung smiled, looking down at their interlaced fingers, and she couldn't help thinking that she was really lucky to know someone like him.