~ 34 ~

"I can't believe you're leaving me at a time like this," Seolhee complained, dragging Mikyung through the mall.  

Mikyung laughed. "I won't be going for a few more days. Plus, you'll have Sunwoo to take care of you," she teased, winking at her friend. 

In the weeks and months after her mother died, Seolhee had become a big source of support for her. Like Sangyeon, she understood what it was like to lose someone that close to you, and she knew how to help her. She was good at being a distraction, and she was good at being a friend. Through their shared pain, they became closer. 

She was grateful for it. Seolhee was easy and fun to be around. 

"I can't believe it," Seolhee said. Her cheeks had turned pink. "There was a time when I thought this wouldn't be possible. I hated him, did you know that? He was so annoying," she said, shaking her head and laughing at herself. "But now we're engaged. Engaged. Isn't that insane?" 

"I can hardly believe it myself," Mikyung said. "You'll be the first of my friends to get married. Are you preparing already?" 

"Slow down," Seolhee laughed. "We actually don't plan to anytime soon. As... unromantic as it may sound, this announcement was more of a business decision for us. Our stocks and company values went up after the announcement. Of course, we do plan on getting married, but in a few years or so. We both still feel too young for that," she explained. 

"Seolhee!" a male's voice called out. 

The two girls spun around to find a handsome young man running towards them. The same man that Mikyung had met at that very mall, so long ago. 

Seolhee's ex-fiancé. 

"Hyunjae!" Seolhee said excitedly, going to give him a hug. 

"I saw the news," he said, grinning at her. "I can hardly believe it. It feels like just yesterday we were engaged," he said, pretending to wipe tears from his eyes. 

Seolhee laughed, punching him on the shoulder lightly. "Do you regret letting me go?" she teased. 

"Every day," he said dramatically, placing his hands over his heart. He looked at Mikyung, his eyes mischievous. "You should break them up," he mock-whispered to Mikyung. "Bring her back to me." 

"You wish," Seolhee said, swatting at him. "Anyway, I'm starting to think this may be our fateful meeting place. I'm always seeing you here." 

Hyunjae laughed. "It seems that way. Are you here for celebratory announcement shopping?" 

"Nope. Our parents are throwing a party next week in celebration and I have nothing to wear." 

"That's a lie," Mikyung mock-whispered to Hyunjae. "You should see her closet. It's insane." 

"Well, okay," Seolhee admitted. "But all the dresses that I could wear to the party, I've been photographed in before." 

Hyunjae nodded in understanding. "The press would tear you apart."

"Exactly," Seolhee said, snapping her fingers. 

"Can I help?" Hyunjae asked. "Can I buy you a dress? My present to you in congrats." 

"That would be a great headline," Seolhee giggled. "Ex-fiancé buys a dress to celebrate her getting a new fiancé... or something like that. But sure. As long as I can do the same for you once it's your turn." 

"Buy me a dress?" he joked. 

"Duh." 

They all laughed, but Hyunjae's face turned serious first. "You know Seolhee, you've been very brave about all of this. Going after the person you really love, you know. And I think... I think you've given me the courage to..." he trailed off, unable to say more. His face was nervous and kind of pained. 

Seolhee's, however, spoke of pure joy. 

"Finally!" she squealed, jumping up and practically tackling Hyunjae in a hug. "Best of luck! If you need anything... call. Okay?" 

Hyunjae laughed, hugging her back. "Got it."