Seventeen

Seventeen (Edited)

        It was a long drive to get to wherever they've taken me. We were in the car for five hours and I couldn't say whether they did that to confuse me or our destination was actually that far. Did it even really matter now?

        I'm sitting in the cell from Smith's vision but, thankfully, I can rest easy knowing I'm the only one in any true danger. My mind isn't connected with Caden's and Colton's but Zara has a connection with their wolves that I'm thankful for. We may not be able to communicate but at least we can tell if they're alive. I wish it didn't work the other way around because with the small connection we do have they'll know when the King decides to kill me. At least, I'm assuming he wants to kill me. I'm a threat to his throne and that probably doesn't settle well with him. He purposely didn't have any kids or get married so he could rule all by himself.

        In the werewolf community, King Julian is a joke. Everybody hates him and curses his name. He raised taxes for all packs just so he could continue to live in opulence. All he does is spend, spend, spend; even our werewolf guard, which was a force to be reckoned with, is a total nightmare now. The Ring of Wolves lets him do whatever he wants because King Julian lets them do whatever they want. It's a disgusting and vicious cycle that hurts us all.

        "Cassia Blackwell. Please approach the door, hands in front of you and head down," a gruff voice says through the brown wooden door. I rise from my spot on the hard dirt ground and find a weird kind of happiness with finally interacting with a person (even if he is one of the bad guys). It's just been me and these four gray stone walls for I couldn't tell you how long. There's no windows in my little prison so one couldn't be sure how many days or nights have passed. I only know that it feels amazing to have the chance to be let out of here.

        Quickly doing what the man says, the door is thrown open and silver chains are once again shackled to my wrists. I hiss at the silver to skin contact but the pain is soon numb. My wrists are already messed up from having these chains on them during the drive and it's a small win to see that they don't bother me as much. I hope it's normal for something very painful to go numb but I know in the back of my head that I have permanent damage.

        "Walk." The guy yanks on the chains and I stumble forward on my weak legs. One thing they haven't given me much of is food. A guard came in with broth and some stale bread awhile ago but I couldn't be exactly sure about the time frame on it. All I know is that my stomach is constantly gurgling at me and it's gotten to the point of pain. Every time a rat skittered by Zara wanted to shift and eat it but I told her that was stooping way too low. If I get out of this mess I don't want to add eating a freaking rat to the list of things I had to do to survive.

        I'm brought out of my thoughts by a door in front of me opening and we come face to face with a beautiful and ornate hallway that belongs in a fairy tale movie. Walking down this lavish hallway makes me feel extremely self conscious about my dirty and, thankfully, no longer nude (these people had some decency and gave me a T-shirt and shorts) figure- like I'm ruining the plush carpet by simply stepping on it.

        The guard pulls me through the beautifully decorated palace and we finally stop in front of some mahogany double doors that look heavier than an elephant. "Do not speak unless spoken to and keep your eyes cast downward, got it?" I nod my head and he rakes his knuckles across the door three times. It swings open with a loud whoosh and a huge library is revealed to us; thousands upon thousands of books lining every inch of the ginormous room.

        "Do you like my collection? It has been many years in the making. I haven't actually read any of them, of course. But they still look marvelous!" A man sitting behind a big wooden desk claps his hands together happily. My first thought is what a waste of money these are if he doesn't read them; my second thought is that there is only one person who would do that-