Two

Two (NEW VERSION OF CHAPTER UP NOW)

        I gape at Alpha Calloway like a fish out of water. There has to have been a mistake! Maybe he is getting me confused with the girl who was in front of me! That's a common mistake, right? The rational part of my brain knows I am just grasping at straws, but what else am I supposed to do? This is madness- absolute madness!

        The Alpha grabs me by the waist and pulls my small figure to his hulking one. Fire erupts from everywhere he touches me and I curse myself for shivering in response. My body's in control right now and is completely ignoring the logical side of my brain. Whatever this feeling is scares me and the devil on my shoulder is telling me to give into him.

        "My Luna," he sighs in contentment like a dehydrated man who finally has water. I stiffen at the title and it feels like the weight of the world is crashing down on me.

        I can't be a Luna! I'm only seventeen for goodness sake's! And let's not forget that Luna's are supposed to be really strong and have good leadership- skills that have easily evaded me.

        "May I present to you the new Luna of the Night Hunter's Pack," Alpha Calloway announces. Everyone starts clapping and he pulls me closer to him as if I'm about to disappear into thin air.

        I sigh then look out into the crowd and meet my moms stare. Her mouth is hanging open in shock while tears brim her eyes. It breaks my heart knowing what I am going to have to do after dinner is over. I mean, he is my mate after all. I started caring for him the second our eyes met. But the quicker I reject him, the easier it will be for him to get over it. Not only does he deserve someone who is Luna material and can make good decisions that benefit the pack, but I have to be there for my mom. I'm all she has left in the world and if I decide to stay with my mate then I'll have to leave her. She probably won't approve of my decision but I need to take both her and my mates interests to heart. It will be better for him, it will be better for her, it will just be better all around. I don't even know the first thing about being someone's mate let alone an Alpha's mate anyway. Truthfully, I never thought I would find my mate because of how insignificant my wolf is. The werewolves that have a guarantee of finding their mates are only ones with titles, everyone else is on their own.

        I look sadly at Alpha Calloway and try to hide the woe in my eyes. He's earned at least one evening of happiness and I deserve at least one evening of him. His beautiful midnight blue orbs meet my light blue ones and he smiles with so much adoration that I'm almost brought to tears. Whoever snatches this man up is going to be one lucky gal.

        For the rest of the evening I let him keep me close, only goddess knows I loved it as much as he did. He kept playing with my hair and nuzzling my neck and made sure we were touching at all times. It almost makes me angry that my mom was actually right about there being no better feeling than finding your mate (how could I have questioned such a feeling). I wonder if this is how my mom felt when she found my dad. They had beat the one in a million odds and actually found their life long mates. Obviously I have too, but the only difference with me is that I know I'm going to have to give him up for the greater good of this pack and my family. The thought, once again, makes me almost burst into tears.

        An hour goes by and neither my mom nor Smith come over to see me which I find odd. The least they could have done is congratulate me, but I guess they must have been in shock over the whole thing- I know I still am.

        People start to leave the estate and with every person that exits they tear off a piece of my heart with them. I have to keep telling myself that this is for the good of the pack and it's selfish of me to stay with him. He deserves a better person than me. I am small and clumsy and hate anything violent or derogatory. No matter what our goddess implied with our mating, we just aren't compatible .