Twenty-One

Twenty-One

"It's only for a day, sweetheart. There and back- no stops," Colton explains to me as he throws a red shirt into his backpack. I'm about one week away from popping both of these kids out and they're leaving. How stupid can they be?

"A day is like a hundred years in pregnant time! What if I go into labor while you two are away, huh?! If you think I'm keeping these kids in and waiting for you to get here you've lost your damn mind!" I'm outraged with their decision. Like they couldn't reschedule some irrelevant Alpha meeting?!

"Cassia! Don't speak to him like that. We're going and that's final. We promise we'll be back by tomorrow morning and no babies will have shown up. Werewolf pregnancies are very textbook and you know that. The odds of them coming are incredibly low." Caden gives me a stern look and I roll my eyes, walking out of our master bedroom. I can't believe they decided this without me. They're always telling me how we're equals but then they go and do asinine stuff like this!

"A little angry, are we?" The sound of my best friend's voice instantly perks me up.

"Smith!" I walk over to him as fast as my body allows and give him an awkward hug, still wishing I could bottle them up and keep them forever.

"You up to hang out?"

I look towards the staircase and feel the anger rising in me. If they wanted to act like immature five-year-olds and not include their mate in things then I would happily oblige them. "Heck yes, I'm craving Chinese food. Let's get out of here."

"Are you going to tell your men?" Smith gives me a questioning look but I smile indifferently. Why ask them if I can leave? It's not like they ask me anything, either.

I grab his hand and take a set of keys from the table beside our front door. "You drive," I say and throw them to Smith. It turns out I grabbed the keys to Caden's brand new mustang- a mistake I will surely pay for later. He doesn't let anyone drive his baby. It may sound bad but I have some self satisfaction knowing that I did another thing just to get them angry, though. Revenge is a dish best served cold, I guess.

After a much needed best friend hangout session, Smith is all too soon dropping me back off at home. It's around five in the evening and the house is empty when I enter. I remember them saying that they were leaving at noon which means our fight won't continue until tomorrow morning. Idiot boys.

I walk into the kitchen to get a bottle of water before I retire to my room and see a note sitting on the counter top. Picking it up, I carefully read over the messy handwriting:

Cassia,
We'll talk when we get home. Caden's pissed about the mustang and we're both pissed that you left without telling us. That being said, just know we love you even when you're angry. See you in the morning, sweetheart.
Love,
C & C

Guilt clenches in my gut at not seeing them off and resolving our issue before they left. Now I'm going to have to live with the fact that I won't get to see them for the next twenty-four hours. I know it sounds minuscule but when it comes to your mate any length of time apart feels too long. How am I going to even sleep tonight?

"Jeremy?! Lance?!" I call out. They're usually on patrol from four in the evening to three in the morning so it was a long shot, but I hated being by myself.

"They're not here," a voice startles me and I turn to face it.

"Ashley? W-What are you doing here? I haven't seen you since..." Since I told her she could have Colton. Wow, was I really so naive?