𓁹 𝐏𝐫𝐞𝐟𝐚𝐜𝐞 𓁹

"𝐃𝐚𝐦𝐧, 𝐭𝐡𝐨𝐬𝐞 𝐞𝐲𝐞𝐬."

Life is an ocean

Life is an ocean.

Smooth and calm. Rough and untamed. There are ups and downs. Wild waves and calm currents; pulling you under or pushing you above. There's a choice; to sink to the bottom or to float on the surface. To breathe in the fresh air, or to let the salt water fill your lungs.

It's a fascination of mine. Life. What is the purpose of it? Should we give in and sink below? Or rise up and float above? What is the purpose of us being created to live this life? Are we to allow the saltiness of life to fill our lungs? Or are we to search for that particle of oxygen?

It's intriguing. The way we were created. From the bones that shape us, to the blood that flows through us, to the skin that covers us; all linked to each other. Without bones, we wouldn't have a form, without blood we wouldn't have functioning systems and without skin we wouldn't have protection. We have muscles attached to our bones and nerves wrapped around those muscles. Nerves that give rise to our senses.

Taste; on the surface of our tongues. The spiciness of chillies that makes your eyes water and your throat burn. Lemon, bitter and tangy. Sweet chocolate that melts on your tongue.

Smell; a simple inhale through our nostrils. You can smell the saltiness of the ocean air, fresh popcorn at the movies, candy-apples at the carnival or the earth after it rains. That one certain smell that can bring back a memory from deep inside your head or the comforting scent of the person you love.

Sound; vibrations moving through our ears. Sound can evoke emotion. The melodious beat of music or the laughter of a loved one can bring happiness. The sound of someone you love crying can bring sadness or anger. The voice of the person you love the most...

Touch; with our hands. To be able to touch is more complex than one would think. Everything is linked to us psychologically. If you have been touched with love and affection, you won't recognize being touched brutally. And if you have only ever been touched with cruelty, then you won't recognize affection. With every touch, you'll expect the worst. You are held captive in your own mind, unable to give in to the softness of the hand that touches you. 

Sight; our eyes. My greatest obsession of all. Being able to see the blue of the sky and the ocean, the green of the trees, the brown of the earth and the grey of the moon on a starry night. It baffles me, how a person's eyes can bring out the deepest memories, the ones locked away in the depths of your heart. It's like smelling a certain fragrance that reminds you of your childhood. 

Green eyes, like candy apples from the carnival, or the quiet, enchanting forest. 

Grey eyes, like clouds during a thunderstorm, or the silvery-moon on the darkest night. 

Brown eyes, like chocolate that melts on your tongue, or pools of sweet honey. 

Blue eyes, like the deepest oceans, or the endless blue skies.

"Eyes are the window to the soul", they say. I don't understand how we humans can just look at someone's eyes and determine their character. It's so easy to manipulate with your eyes. A simple manoeuvre of the muscle around the eye can have a person falling for the lies that spew out of your mouth. How can you tell that someone is angry? How can you tell that they are in love? I can never figure it out. I can never look into a person's eyes because, even if I can't figure out their emotions, they might see mine and that, that could be the death of me. 

When I think about it, I can remember some times in my life I probably did understand someone's feelings in their eyes. 

Dark eyes, like two black holes sucking me into a world of pain and suffering. 

However, they don't necessarily have to be dark to be evil. Like those green ones. I put all my trust in them only to be burnt down like a fire raging through a forest. 

But those people. Those certain people-

Green eyes never judged me for anything I did. 

Grey eyes read me like a book.

That one boy with the crazy coloured eyes never failed to make my day.

Those brown eyes, like the earth, made me feel safe.

Those blue eyes, eyes so blue I drown, dragged me up from the depths of my sorrows. 

I never wanted to fall. I never wanted to drown. I never wanted to be buried under heaps of emotion.

But I dared myself to look into their eyes, and I was never the same again. 

Sooo... What'd you think?