𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐓𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐓𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞 |𝟐𝟑|

"𝐈 𝐧𝐞𝐞𝐝 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐦𝐨𝐫𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐧 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐤."
• • •

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟑

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟑

There are some things in life I will never understand. Like, how do planes fly if they weigh a billion tons? Or how do ships float if they also weigh a billion tons? How on God's Earth does Bluetooth work? And last, but not least, how do my foster parents know everything that happens in this house - everything that happens with me.

No one was home but me that day I brought Remo into my room and yet, somehow they knew he was here and my brave little adventure resulted in me receiving a belt to the back...or multiple rather.

Thanks to my lovely 'parents', I haven't been able to sleep a wink for the past four days and that has made me extremely cranky. What's even worse is that I haven't been able to down a single bite of food without feeling like my insides will turn into mush and decide to leave my body.

Of course, my moodiness caught the attention of the boys but they didn't interrogate me about it. They just let me be - except for Remo. He noticed I was off the second he picked me up for school the next day but hadn't mentioned it. I guess they all thought the same thing; it's Ocean's 'leak week'.

Well, they're not wrong. Because Mother Nature decided "Let's torture Ocean a little bit more." and sent me my period the same night I got punished. And it just so happens that my period pains are so severe they render me out-of-action for at least the first three days.

The boys have been really helpful these few days, taking down my notes for me, which allowed me to sleep for a while during the lessons.

My nightmares seem to be getting worse day by day and I can't understand why. Before, it used to just be things I could never understand and noises I could barely make out. But these dreams would freak me out beyond belief and would steal my sleep from me every night. Ever since that day my head went underwater, my dreams have gotten more graphic, more realistic and I struggle to get a full night's sleep.

Tonight, however, is not one of those nights where I cannot sleep. I think all these sleepless nights and painkillers - from the nurse's office in school - have caught up to me and I finally feel drowsy enough to sleep. It takes me a while to find a comfortable position because of my back, but I finally do and am on the very brink of sleep when a loud noise from my window wakes me.

"Ocean."

Heavy breathing and a pained voice.

I'm still in the phase between sleep and being awake so I don't react.

"Derya! Dery-" There's that pained voice again, a loud thump and harsher breathing.

"Derya, help me pl-" I'm already up and out of my bed when he called me "Derya" for the second time.