1

"Detective George Davidson, please present the data you have collected to the court."

George stood up from his seat, holding a file to his chest as he walked to the center of the courtroom and facing the audience. He stood in front of a group of his coworkers and several random people, probably friends of the witness.

He swiftly opened the folder and pulled out a picture, saying, "This is the victim, Sarah Lingford, a twenty-three year old female, who was murdered two nights ago."

George walked the length of the courtroom, holding the picture for all to see, several people gasping. He showed it to the witness and asked, "Can you confirm that this is your cousin?"

The witness nodded tearfully and George gave her a pitying glace before placing the picture in front of the judge. He said loudly for the whole room to hear, "As you can see, Ms. Lingford suffered a fatal stab to her heart. The dagger— which can be found in our evidence unit— was swung upwards between her ribs to puncture her heart."

George pulled out another image, walking the same route as before and saying, "This is the weapon used, a twenty-five and a half centimeter (10ish inches) dagger. Based on the knowledge I have on the killer, I know that the dagger was left behind on purpose, to taunt me, if you will."

George placed the picture in front of the judge. The judge rubbed her temples and said, "Make your point Detective. How do you know that this is the Dream killer?"

"He― a young male based off his notes he likes to leave behind―" George scrunched his nose in frustration at the mention of the teasing notes and continued, "left his signature smile on the hilt of the blade. If you look close enough, you'll see the white smile."

The judge picked the photo and nodded. She said, "You seem to know a lot about him. Do you know his motives?"

"No," George admitted. "I was assigned to come to America and find him less than a month ago. Since then, he's left me four bodies to find."

The judge's eyebrows lifted. She turned to the witness and asked, "Do you believe that it was Dream who killed your cousin?"

The woman nodded fiercely. She spat, "That horrible monster can go to hell for all he's done! Poor Sarah, she was going to graduate college and become a doctor. That Dream son of a bitch should be electrocuted to death in prison for all he's done!"

George's eyebrows barely lifted at her words, listening to the gavel pound down and the judge's words ring out. He was used to harsh words being thrown. It was common ever since he was assigned to Dream's case.

He sighed and collected his photos, knowing he'd return to the same room soon. George was slowly getting used to the different rules and regulations in America. Everything was different, but the American government wanted him specifically for the case. George had surpassed all of the other detectives back at his home. If anything, he was eager for a challenge.

He just didn't expect it to be so difficult.

Within a month of George arriving, the killer― or Dream as he liked to be called― had murdered four people, all seemingly innocent. Dream had gained attention a little over a year ago, going on a killing spree. He always chose one victim a week, racking a total of fifty-three victims. Fifty-three. The fact that Dream had never been caught was baffling to George.

Either the American government was shit or Dream was really skilled at his work.

George was sensing it was a bit of both. And the fact that Dream always left behind little teasing phrases, taunting the detectives pursuing him. It had caused almost every one of the detectives before George to quit.