22

"It's time," George said, reading the clock that said six o'clock am.

An hour after their plane had arrived, they were all ready. Sapnap, Alex, Clay, and George were all in their "spy outfits" with their necessary weapons. The whole team was standing in a circle in a room in the Palm Beach Police Department.

Zak handed out earpieces to everyone who needed them. He said, "Alright guys, you know the plan. Me, Jack, and Tommy will be here watching you guys through cameras. We'll let you know if something unexpected happens. Don't be afraid to ask questions through coms."

George nodded as he put his earpiece in. He spoke, "Niki, Tubbo, good luck with your research in town." Niki and Tubbo nodded with thank yous. George added, "Zak, Jack, and Tommy, you all know your jobs. Be sure to keep us informed.  No messing around."

Tommy smiled, a determined look on his face. Jack dipped his chin in understanding. George saw Karl's nervous look and said lightheartedly, "And Karl, don't steal the boat... you don't want to spend five months in prison, like Sapnap here."

Karl's face split into a grin, the nervous look disappearing. Sapnap laughed and patted Karl's shoulder, saying, "You got this Karl, just don't bother the boat officer too much."

Karl nodded, his eyes not leaving Sapnap's as he said, "Good luck."

"I don't need it," Sapnap said arrogantly, but softly.

George looked away, unsure if he should be watching. After a moment, Tommy cleared his throat and said, "Okay! Let's catch this bitch."

Everyone wished good luck. Niki and Tubbo left for town and the field team headed to the van, but George stayed behind. Zak and Tommy headed to the security room, where all the screens were for the cameras in Wilbur's house. They had hacked into the system that morning. The boating officer led Karl away, starting his instructions.

George looked to Jack and said, "Thank you, for coming to America with me. I don't know what I'd have done without you as my assistant."

"It's an honor," Jack said honestly, "working by your side. I can't imagine working with anyone else."

Jack pulled George into a hug. Jack whispered, "When this is over, I'm going back to England."

George's eyes widened. "What―"

"Don't worry," Jack interrupted quietly, "I don't expect you to come with me. I know you'll want to stay."

George squeezed his arms around Jack, murmuring, "I― thank you. You're an amazing assistant and friend."

"Don't get all emotional all me," Jack joked, but his voice was shaky. "I'm not leaving yet."

George pulled back to look Jack in his eyes. "I know, but I just wanted you to know."

The van honked and George rolled his eyes. Jack smiled. "Good luck, George. Stay safe and don't get shot."

George laughed lightly. "And don't you spill your coffee on the keyboards, I know how clumsy you can get."

Jack scoffed with a smile, waving as George turned around to leave. George jogged to the van, taking Clay's hand as he was pulled in. The door slammed shut behind him and George watched as Jack's figure slowly disappeared.

"Took you long enough," Sapnap muttered.

George glared at Sapnap, who was sitting across from him, next to Alex. Clay sat next to George, their legs brushing. The back of the van wasn't lit, so George gasped softly in surprise when an unseen hand slipped in his own. A soft smile tugged on George's lips as he interlaced his hand with Clay's.