5

George returned to his apartment that evening with a chest free of weight. He could finally rest now that there was a possibility of finding out Dream's identity.

After leaving the scene of the murder and returning to his work, George had made sure Niki received the dagger.

Niki had been ecstatic, heading to the labs immediately with the evidence. She had run the small edge of the fingerprint through a small machine which scanned the dagger.

She had said that after the fingerprint was processed, the results would get back to them within three to five days. The finger print would finish processing by tomorrow, it would be automatically compared with all the fingerprints in the system, and then they'd have their results. It was all planned out.

However, that's only if Dream had been arrested before and he was in the system.

If Dream wasn't in the system, George didn't know what he would do.

George mulled over the possibilities as he entered his kitchen, turning on the light. He opened his fridge and pulled out milk. After grabbing some Cheerios, he made himself a bowl of cereal.

He didn't go to the pub today because he had stayed so late at the office. So he sat in his kitchen munching on cereal until a phone rang.

George swallowed, his eyebrows furrowing as he felt his phone in his pocket— his phone that wasn't ringing.

He followed the ringing into his living room, the noise leading him to a table under a window. An open window.

George closed the window and locked it, looking around anxiously. The phone shook as it rung against the table. It was a flip phone, a new one at that.

He watched it ring for a long moment before it stopped. George let out a long sigh of relief, but he was still confused.

As he went to pick the phone up it rang again, causing George to jump. He laughed nervously, muttering, "Relax, there's nothing to worry about."

He flipped the phone open and held it to his ear. A dark, raspy voice spoke, "Don't ignore me."

"Um, who is this?" George asked, going to turn on the light in the room to calm his nerves. "And why are you using a voice changer?"

"Oh, Detective, I think you know who this is," the man said with a low laugh.

"Wait— Dream?"

The man at the end of the line didn't reply, instead continuing to chuckle. George swallowed and rushed to his window to close his curtains. His heart raced as he asked, "How do you know where I live?"

"I know everything there is to know about you, George."

"What do you want?" George asked shakily.

"You're going to drive to your office and bring me every single file there is on me, to me. I want my dagger, I want my files, and I want that flash drive."

"Flash drive?" George said, pretending to be clueless.

"Yes, the one with the data on my fingerprint."

George held his breath, "So you're in the system?"

Dream didn't answer the question, instead growling, "Bring me what I want now."

"Will you kill me if I don't?"

"No, but I'll kill this child I have with me."

"Wait— what?" George asked frantically.

He heard rusting at the end of the line and a curse from a voice that wasn't Dream. "Oh fuck you bitch," the child— which sounded more like a male teenager— shouted, "or I'll kill you!"