13

George sat at his kitchen table eating a microwave dinner when a knock rapped at his door.

He tossed the remaining food in his garbage and went to open his door. A smile spread across his face when he saw the visitor.

"Clay! What are you doing here?"

"Hey Georgie," Clay teased with a smile, stepping into George's apartment when George let him in with no hesitation. "I wanted to stop by. Thought you might be missing me."

George tried to fight his grin and stood on his toes to press a quick kiss to Clay's lips. Luca darted out from wherever he was hiding and rubbed against Clay's leg.

"Hey Luca," Clay greeted softly and bent down to scratch the cat's head. He stood back up and asked George, "How was your day?"

"Meh," George responded, heading into his living room and sitting on the couch. Clay sat next to him and George grabbed his hand, tracing patterns on his palm. George muttered, "A new coworker gave me shit for not showing up."

"Oh, what's his name? I can kill him for you."

George laughed softly, taking Clay's sentence as a joke. He said with a soft smile, "You? A killer? No way, you're too much of a softie for that."

George looked away, missing the way Clay's face fell. He studied Clay's hand that he was holding and asked quietly, "Clay?... What are we?"

George looked up to meet Clay's eyes. Clay's face softened and he lifted George's hand to kiss it lightly. He murmured, "We can be whatever you want to be, George."

Luca hopped on the couch between them and meowed loudly. Clay didn't break their eye contact as he reached a hand to pet Luca. George said in a voice above a whisper, "I think it'd be cool if we made it official."

"Like boyfriends?" Clay asked with a quirked eyebrow.

George flushed and nodded. Clay smiled and murmured, "Of course, George. I'd love to be your boyfriend."

George bit his lip, unable to hold back his smile. He scooted Luca off the couch and wrapped his arms around Clay. Inhaling deeply into Clay's shirt, he whispered, "I'm glad you decided to ask me out all those nights ago."

"Me too, George, me too."

George yawned and Clay chuckled lightly. Clay said, "Do you want to go to bed?"

"Mhm," George mumbled and stood up. He linked his arm with Clay's and the two walked to George's room, laying on his bed.

George's eyes roved over Clay's soft features, lit up by the faint moonlight. Clay's eyes were locked on the wall behind George. George whispered sleepily, "Why do you always look at that stuff whenever you're in here?"

Clay's eyes left the wall full of George's work on the Dream Case. He muttered, "I don't like how you spend all your time focusing on Dream."

"Jealous?" George mumbled.

"Concerned," Clay corrected, "I think you should take a break for a little bit, go on a vacation maybe. We could go together."

George's heart softened at the offer, but he said, "I can't Clay, Dream doesn't go on vacation. He won't stop, so I need to stop him."

"Why are you so obsessed with him?"

George's drooping eyelids snapped open. He replied sharply, "I'm not obsessed with him. He's the reason I'm in America. I have to solve this case, it's my job."

"I know..." Clay muttered as George shifted to lay on his back. "I just― I dunno, never mind."

George let out a long sigh and turned his head to look at Clay. He whispered, "You don't need to worry Clay. I'm safe with you. Dream could kill me if he wanted, but he hasn't yet."