Chapter 2

"Ray?" Oxford looked at the teen for assurance.

The subject gazed at the three-letter word, asking himself if this would be it. Would this be the name for the rest of his life? Or would it only be temporary? He asked Oxford.

"Depends. If we found out who and what you are, then this will only be temporary. If we don't, then you'll be called 'Ray' for the rest of your life."

A minute of silence passed between the two.

"Yes... 'Ray' it is." announced the subject, closing the folder and sliding it back to its place.

Oxford nodded while he walked back to his desk to officially write his subject's new name.

The document in the tablet was always updated in real-time so that Chap and the others could see or sense what they were doing. One of the management's ways to increase productivity and efficiency.

Oxford remained standing when he wrote the last letter of 'Ray'. After that, he gestured to Ray to follow him to another place before heading out. Ray trailed behind him, glancing in both directions at either end of the endless hall. They boarded the elevator again.

This made Ray wonder, how massive was this facility? And why underground?

Ray stared blankly during his thoughts while they rode the elevator up. He didn't hear what Oxford said, so now he was basically in for a surprise to see where he would take him this time.

"I suppose you still have a lot of questions to ask?" Oxford spoke, slightly looking down at him, keeping his other hand in his side pocket.

"A-a lot..."

"Well, don't be shy. Just ask. Though, expect me to not answer all of them."

Ray felt heavier for a quick moment when the elevator gained speed as they continued to ride upward. The bearings from outside were somewhat audible now.

"What is this place?", asked Ray, staring at their reflections in front of them. He caught a smile that grew on Oxford's face all of the sudden.

Oxford didn't answer immediately, he kept the smile on his face as if he was waiting for something.

A sudden burst of harsh light blinded Ray for seconds. He groaned and stepped back behind Oxford for cover, but the light was pouring from all sides of the elevator. It was as if they teleported on the surface of the sun.

Oxford remained standing still as his eyes quickly adapted to the bright lights. This was one of his favorite things to do in his job. Watching his subjects get blasted by light.

"Welcome to the SPOT Facility," stated Oxford just in time when Ray's irides gradually contracted.

Ray's jaw dropped through the elevator's floor and down the bottomless shaft as he gazed around with wide eyes.

Oxford transitioned to a tour guide as they rose above the endless sea of machines, conveyor belts, tubes, catwalks, floating platforms, and etcetera. He stated that no one in the facility knew the entire size of this structure due to the never-ending expansion that began long ago, even before his existence.

He later added that the facility where they were currently was the third sister, the youngest and smallest of the three. The other two were located in the Indian Ocean, and Atlantic Ocean; all of these were under the same Cal's management.

He explained to Ray their purpose and reason for building such a place under the ocean, to prevent any discoveries conducted by the people on the surface. Oxford told Ray, which he learned from his predecessor, that the original plan was to build this one up in space, but the budget was nowhere near to start feasibility.