Chapter 34

The current continued to grow stronger the more they got closer to their exit. The water had finally reached their waist. Both clung on to the railings, water rushed through the door with ease. The door was bent out of its hinges.

Ray grabbed either side of the doorframe and slingshotted himself through the force. Oxford followed suit, arriving at the lowest floor of the Manufacturing Area. Half of each of the machines on their floor was already underwater, some of them were smoking and steaming. They avoided those when they searched for the nearest ladder to the catwalks above.

As they climbed up, thick, black smoke from machines set on fire clouded the ceiling where heavy ocean rain came, as if thunderstorms formed. The red and orange hues from every blaze on machines and rebel's torches managed to light up the entire section, revealing more of the destruction they have caused. Some had powerful flashlights, beaming around the place.

Reminds me of the Entertainment Section again, Ray thought, shaking his head and rolling his eyes.

Parts of catwalks above fell, weighing and destroying other catwalks below as their steel cables slowly melted. A few machines also started to fall, producing massive craters on the waterline. Nite was looking down when he greeted Oxford and Ray a few layers of catwalks later. It reminded him of the time when they carpet-bombed an enemy base.

"Lucky for you to wake up at the right time!" Nite shouted through the outcries.

Ray didn't say anything, though he was glad to see him again, to see everyone he knew still alive, finally ending their curse in this facility. Finally getting what they desired.

"...he will finally get what he desires," Soothsayer's voice echoed in his mind.

Ray's eyes widened when he was staring at the sea of flames and pillars of smoke. He remembered Soothsayer's prophecies. The first few bits about their prophecies didn't catch their interest, it was the part where Soothsayer mentioned treachery. Ray turned where Oxford discussed something with his colleagues c-shaped in front of him.

All of them were holding different types of weapons and all of them looked like they returned from war. Nite somehow was blending into his surroundings. Ray was eager to tell Oxford about his encounter with Soothsayer and their prophecies. But, doing so would make Oxford ask about his family and Fier.

Ray caught them nodding simultaneously before spreading out. A few seconds later, a few flares shot up and sparkled in front of everyone. All flares were flashing green. What did that mean? Oxford returned to Ray, placing his hand on his shoulders.

"It's time to leave this place behind," said Oxford.

Ray huffed when suddenly, they heard someone yelling nearby. Both of their eyes darted at the man who was pointing his finger out in the distance. Everyone nearby shut their mouths and looked in the direction.

Kilometers away was a wall of shimmering lights. It wasn't fire nor flares. The lights were bright white. When the lights got closer, they noticed that the pillars of smoke were blown away, that was when they knew what it was. Everyone prepared their weapons. At first, Ray thought those were just fairies or other mythical flying creatures trapped in the facility that managed to escape the flood. He was wrong. But he wished he was right.

Those lights revealed to be large aircrafts and drones, all heavily armed and looked very unfamiliar. Oxford stomped over to Ony whose jaws were on the floor.

"I haven't seen those before," said Oxford.

"Neither have I," replied Ony, studying their design as he pressed the binoculars into his eye sockets.