Chapter 8

With eyes narrowed until the door closed shut with a booming thud, Sion returned to his desk where he instantly slid the keyboard to him. He typed on the search bar that, upon pressing "enter", had only one result. It was one of his old investigations in which he made no progress, until now. The document he opened was his investigation on the staff he mentioned to Ray earlier.

He swiped his fingers across the trackpad, his eyes shifted from left to right. In the first part, every word he read brought nothing but horrible flashbacks of his predecessor. He could still hear his faint screams of pain in his mind. The nightmares had returned, stronger.

He got to the part where he recognized his handwriting. The nightmares slowly died down. He recalled from memory what he was doing during the moment of his writing. Bandages all over him making him look like a mummy. Everything he touched felt like holding a handful of needles, puncturing his skin.

Then, he started reading faster as the paragraphs became sentences which then became words until all he could read left were 'none'. This was the part where he finally lost interest and moved to other things.

He popped his knuckles and cleared his throat when he created a new log, reviving the investigation after all these years. Maybe this could be his first completed investigation in his life.

LOG# 86

Oxford got ourselves a new test subject which we, at first, thought the management was playing a joke. The test subject in question is a teenage boy with white irides. I hope he isn't wearing contact lenses. It isn't the eyes that I am worried about, it's how the staff reacted to his presence.

Just as I thought of closing this investigation, the staff finally did something new and odd. It didn't do anything which could, I guess, threaten the structure of the facility or the management itself. It was simple.

After years of hovering and glowing, the staff began moving (bumping the case) towards Oxford's test subject like a magnet. It may sound and look nothing extraordinary, but for me, who spent years staring at it, is a big step forward in solving this mystery.

If the staff is truly attracted to Oxford's test subject, then I might involve that individual in this investigation.

In fact, I already did.

Sion's mind ceased to cooperate when he thought of an idea out of nowhere. He blinked at the glowing monitor in silence, fingers off from the keyboard. He hurriedly brought out his phone and dialed Chap's number. He put him on speaker when he answered.

"Never expected to hear a call from you at this hour of the day, must be important I assume?" said Chap when he pulled himself from the sink, sanitizing his gloves.

"You assumed correctly. Have you thought of something strange about Ray?" Sion asked, making another window in his screen where he typed on the search bar, the same thing he typed for Oxford's request, microbots.

Chap looked through his goggles to his phone on his desk.

"Aren't my discoveries not strange yet?" he replied, holding a vial with Ray's saliva.

"Has Oxford told any of us why Ray wears a white general suit?"

Chap was about to pour the contents of the small vial into a bigger one when he heard Sion's statement, he froze in his spot. He cocked at his desk, placing the vial down and taking off his goggles.

"N-no... not that I am aware of... why?"

Sion didn't answer instead, he ended the call. Leaving Chap to question himself. Back at the P.G.P., Sion brought his tablet with him when he hopped back into the buggy and drove off in complete silence. He left the monitor on his desk displaying his investigation, the identical details of microbots, and a third window with a search bar on top, just below it said two words.

No result.