Chapter 13

Ray's white irides stared motionlessly at the square, blue LED eyes of the robot standing before him, looking down with a curious look. The two of them were silent, except for the whirring coils and tiny gears of the artificial body. At first, Ray thought Oxford had a guard with him in the penthouse, which could make sense since he worked for the facility. But, upon taking a closer look at the design of this one, it didn't resemble anything like them.

The robot tilted his head a little, returning his gaze to the newcomer, something he didn't expect after all these years. He let go of the doorknob and gave a questioning look. Waiting for either one of them to do something besides staring at each other.

Footsteps came from the end of the corridor, where the living room was.

"Oh... nearly forgot about him," said Oxford, scratching the back of his head when he found his test subject looking at the robot.

Ray finally turned to his Guardian before taking a step back, freeing the robot from the awkward first interaction. Ray figured this was a simple robot that executes tasks given to him.

Probably one of the benefits, Ray thought, keeping his eyes on the robot.

"He's my robot," Oxford began when he walked up to them, Ray and the robot were now pointing their eyes at him.

Oxford waved at the robot calmly, then, in an instant, the robot extended his hand out for a shake. His pointy ears, erected with a curious greeting. The shape of his eyes changed to a friendly one as if Ray was talking to a human being. Ray knew it would be rude to leave the other hanging, so he threw his hand to the robot.

The robotic hand had some noticeable pressure to it when they shook. Ray fought the urge to retreat his hand immediately, thinking it would crush it into a slushie.

"His name is Ray, my 48th test subject," Oxford introduced.

"Nice to meet you, Ray!" the robot said with glee.

Once they let go of each other, the robot calmly proceeded to the kitchen, leaving the two men standing in the corridor. Sounds of cooking pans and utensils echoed through the penthouse.

Ray calmly walked out of the short hall, standing in the living room where, across the long dining table, was the robot cracking some eggs with ease and whisking them smoothly. Oxford stood close, waiting for that particular question.

"D-does he have a name?" Ray gently leaned to Oxford while keeping their eyes on the robotic chef.

"He doesn't have a name," said Oxford, crossing his arms.

"Oh? I... really prefer for him to have a name," whispered Ray, looking down and holding his hands together behind his back.

"Alright. But I'm not the one who's going to choose," replied Oxford who then whistled at the robot, signaling him to pay attention to his test subject. It did as ordered.

"Ray wanted you to have a name," explained the adult.

The robot gave a doubtful look. Ray quickly regretted his idea because the eyes of Oxford and the robot caused pressure around him, squeezing him to think of a name as fast as possible while also not sounding funny or foolish. He stuttered at the first words.

"H-how about Callifer?"

"Horrible," said the two in perfect harmony.

Ray admitted defeat, sighing and waving his hand like a white flag. The two chuckled in victory before going back to their businesses. Oxford announced he would be in his bedroom to change his clothes when he began loosening his tie. He was in the process of walking into his bedroom when he glanced at his phone, double-checking all the doors and windows, even vents, were locked.