Chapter 15

Oxford silently stood in front of the tall mirror after putting on his white suit. The orange juice really did lift his spirits just a little. Sometimes he wanted to thank the robot for being thoughtful. He decided to go for a walk after filling his stomach, hence he wore something different. This white one was the first suit he got from his predecessor. Apparently, at the time, everyone in the facility wore whites. All were stain-resistant.

Oxford had forgotten how much he used to prefer this white one over the current one. It had been years since the last time he thought of this, years since he laid his eyes on it. And now, he found himself wearing this for some unknown reason.

Straightening his posture, he walked out of his bedroom where he heard noises from the gymnasium. He furrowed while he went to the living room, closing all the glass doors to the balcony before moving and standing at the doorway of the gymnasium where he observed the two. His eyes grew when Ray kicked the robot off the mat.

This reminded Oxford of his first time with the robot. It wasn't fun at all. And he would never do it again, forever.

When the two had ended their playtime, Oxford was finally noticed when he knocked on the door after Ray pointed the spear at his opponent. He guessed the white general suit had something to do with his great combat skills. Great, another piece of the puzzle.

"I'm heading out, need anything while I'm at it?" stated Oxford, ignoring the mess.

The robot stood up and looked at Ray who only sat up.

"Groceries," replied the robot.

Oxford nodded before looking also at Ray.

"Go get showered, you're coming with me," said Oxford before leaving their sight, he moved to the living room, sitting quietly on the sofa, staring at the sleeping fireplace.

Ray and the robot exchanged glances before he received a nudge from the robot. Ray went back to his bedroom while the robot dealt with their mess in the gymnasium. He plucked the swords from the ceiling and stared at them. He couldn't believe Ray had those skills. It made him question why he was Oxford's test subject. What were they looking for?

Minutes later, Ray stepped out of the shower with a towel wrapped around his waist. He entered his closet and thought about which he was going to wear. Putting on the white general uniform would be the last thing he would do now.

Oxford was standing at the front door, holding it open, as he waited for the other. Soon, Ray reappeared from the corridor... wearing the white general suit. Ray knew he had limited time, hence he chose to put it back on instead of making Oxford wait because he didn't know which one he should wear.

They returned to the mall where they went straight to the supermarket. Ray had somehow become "the robot" as soon as he was instructed to get a push-cart. Ray didn't protest though, he found ways to have fun with it. Pushing and sliding. He followed Oxford through the maze as their cart slowly got filled with natural products.

Out of curiosity, Oxford brought themselves to the fruits section where he stopped at the front of mangoes. He looked at Ray who was reading one of the labels in their carts. He finally took notice.

"Get some mangoes," said Oxford, keeping his eyes on him.

Ray nodded. He reached out for a pair and placed them in the cart. He looked at Oxford who had a brow raised. Did he do something wrong? Were these even mangoes?

"Just a pair?" Oxford asked, finger tapping on the cart.

Ray returned his eyes at the group of mangoes next to him, he hesitantly grabbed another pair and placed them slowly on the cart, next to another pair. Oxford kept his same look.