Chapter 3 - Greeting Death When The Hope Turned To Despair

A few years ago....

"Ah, Mom. Welcome home!"

Akari joyfully welcomed her mother's return even though she was as sleepy as Yozora. As a child who barely matured, she still longed for her mother's presence that she couldn't meet for a long time. Her excitement had to die a bit when she saw her mother's drunken figure as her friend from work helped her to walk.

"Harumi's daughter, I assume? I'm sorry. Your mother drank too much during the celebration at work."

The woman who lent a shoulder to Harumi smiled bitterly as she explained. Akari felt a little uncomfortable seeing her mother like that but she decided not to mind it and helped her mother enter the house. The woman did not just go home but also gave aid to them. She couldn't just let a child carry her mother alone.

As they laid Harumi on a coach beside Yozora, Akari thanked the woman and bowed in appreciation. The woman only smiled and said not to mind it as her eyes roamed the house unintentionally. Despite emitting the air of childishness, she still understood that the decorations around her were meant for celebration. Then, her eyes fell on Yozora's adorable figure on the coach.

"That boy over here. Yozora, isn't he?"

"Yes, he's my little brother."

Akari affirmed the woman's question as she perceived that the woman was not a bad person. She had a good perception of people nature since she matured much better than other children.

"... he's cute."

"....yes, he's very adorable."

Both the woman's eyes and Akari's eyes sparkled when they said it.it was true. Yozora was very adorable even compared to most children. He had a soft looking face and bright nature. Since Akari took care of him the best she could, his facial features were in top form and he did have no scars or scratches on his body despite being a boy who ran and fell all the time.

Since Akari noticed the gleam in the woman's eyes, she blocked Yozora's body from being stared by the woman with her body.

"I won't let you have him. Ever."

Akari said strictly. She could give up most of her belongings to anyone but Yozora was one thing she would never compromise. The woman blinked in confusion before finally understanding what Akari meant after a few seconds. Then, she showed a chuckle and laughed.

"Hahaha, I won't take him from you. I'm not a bad woman."

Hearing her words, Akari relaxed her guard and said.

".... Miss, what is your name?"

"Oh, I didn't introduce myself yet. Sorry. My name is Shinohara Ayaka. Nice to meet you, Akari."

"Nice the meet you. My name is Minamoto Akari."

"Good girl, good girl."

"Um, you don't have to pat my head just because I introduced myself properly."

Ayaka was totally treating her like a little she was. Despite saying that, Akari did not stop her from doing that since it was not bad to be praised once in a while.

"Um, Miss Shinohara?"

"Call me Ayaka. If possible, Big Sister Ayaka!"

"I'll refuse that. Miss Ayaka, do you want to join our feast?"

Akari invited Ayaka to join their celebration since she thought it would not do to send her away right after she helped her mother. Furthermore, the more the merrier. Her mother would also be glad to see her friend together with her family, she thought.