4

You must have dozed off because you woke up, still leaned up against the wall. You wiped the small line of drool from the corner of your mouth. It was still dark outside, but you guessed the sun would rise soon. You could see Tommy in his corner, facing the wall and snoring softly, his side rising and falling as he breathed.

Looking over to the other side of the cave, you noticed it was unoccupied. You sighed, quietly standing up and leaving the cold, eerie cave, knowing there was no way you would fall back asleep. You wandered aimlessly through the trees, simply letting your feet take you wherever, your mind wandering to the destroyed room.

You couldn't quite understand how you had gotten here. One moment you had been watching the breeze gently moving strands of Ember's platinum hair, the next, you were on a stage, in front of hundreds of people no less.

You were surprised when you realized you were back at the hill, even more confused when you saw a silhouette standing on the crest. You instinctively moved towards it. It wasn't until you had made in next to the silhouette that you realized it was Wilbur. A part of you was disappointed that it was, but it was quickly silenced by his appearance.

The last of the moonlight reflected off of his front, a slight shadow cast upon his face, giving him a stoic look. He sat down in the grass, not acknowledging that you were there.

"You don't have to stand there." He said still looking over the tree line, facing the direction of the city. You hesitantly sat down in the grass a few feet away.

"So what was that gathering yesterday?" You asked, breaking the silence.

He paused for a moment before answering. "That was the L'Manburg Presidential Election." He sighed. You stole a glance at him only to discover he was already looking at you. You caught his gaze and quickly looked away.

"What did you do to make that man so angry? Schlatt, wasn't it?"

Another pause. "Tommy and I lost the election."

"And that's what made him angry? He's mad because he won?"

There was an even longer silence at this question. You could tell by how tense his shoulders were that he was picking his words carefully. Why, you did not know.

"He was angry at us because of some of the rules we had in place."

You nodded, not wanting to ask any more questions. You didn't want to make him angry or uncomfortable. After a while, he relaxed.

"I talked to Schlatt last night. He said we would be allowed to collect our belongings. I figured we might as well do that once Tommy wakes up."

You hummed in response, laying down in the grass. The two of you fell into a semi-comfortable quiet, watching as the sun rose. The colors swirled in the sky, going from a deep purple to orange, then from orange to red, before finally turning to a light blue. It wasn't too hot outside, just warm enough to keep the gentle breeze from stealing your warmth.

After a while, you sat up, pulling yourself to stand. "I'm going to go check on Tommy." Wilbur nodded, staying where he was.

You turned and walked down the hill. You found it odd that they're had been exiled because of their rules. The rules could always be changed, right? All of a sudden, you were unsure you believed what Wilbur had told you. You wanted to believe it, but you couldn't help but wonder what else had happened. Surely someone couldn't be thrown away for a reason like that. What had they done?