22

You sat leaned against the wall and cross legged on your neatly made bed, reading a book Techno had lent you. You had spent the rest of the day sitting at the table with Wilbur and Techno before you had retired into your room for the night.

You sighed and sank further into the mattress, your back sliding a little down the wall, as your eyes trailed back down to your book. It was a tragic love story between a man and a woman who lived thousands of miles apart. They met in a holding cell one night when they had both been drunk. They fell in love, and a year later, the girl was diagnosed with a terminal disease and died, leaving the man broken hearted and lonely.

Your mind wandered to Wilbur. You hadn't really thought about what had happened. You hadn't had a chance to. You were beginning to see that you hadn't really had a chance to sit down and think since you had gotten here. You had been so busy with trying to help get back a country, all the while trying to not be underfoot, that you hadn't gotten the chance to take a moment to yourself.

You hadn't even realized that you felt the way you did about Wilbur. Sure, you had noticed the butterflies he caused you to have, just by looking at you. You had caught the quick glimpses he took of you, the way he would look away as fast as he could, a light dusting of pink on the bridge of his nose. What you hadn't noticed was the giddy feeling in your gut every time he spoke to you, or when he even made small contact with your skin, he left you quaking. You hadn't heard the small voice in your head that told you to talk to him, and you hadn't understood why you were always so excited to see him, even just for a moment, or the little stolen glances.

And yet you were brought back to that moment in the rain. When he kissed you, you felt like you were going to explode, all the butterflies swirling in your chest, your heartbeat racing, making it impossible to catch your breath. Of course Wilbur hadn't exactly been helping...

Even though it had been raining so hard that you couldn't see, you had seen Wilbur perfectly in that moment. His brown eyes, and his soft, smooth skin. His hair plastered to his forehead as he held you in his arms. Your senses had been lit on fire.

But the fire is what scared you. The fiery lust and sparks of revenge that raged behind his eyes. His eyes that left you gasping for air in the deep pools, so deep that if you weren't careful, you would certainly drown.

Maybe that's what scared you. Maybe it wasn't the fire, but the water instead. Or maybe it was both. It was hard to guess which would kill you first, the flames that demanded justice, or the deep, compassionate pools. It was up to you to decide which you would rather surrender to. Maybe you wouldn't mind surrendering to either. You focused back on your book.

"Haven't you heard....?" Her mom spoke softly into the phone. "She's gone."

"W- what?" Her lover asked the open, empty room, his voice breaking.