17

The rest of the group joined you and Tommy at the table.

"Traitor." Tommy growled at Techno. "He betrayed us. He executed Tubbo."

"Tommy - you're using words," Techno leaned against a wall. "but the thing about this world, is that the only universal language is violence." Tommy rolled his eyes. "We've had that conversation. In the pit. On to a new day, to a new plot - to destroy Manberg."

Out of the corner of your eye, you saw a shadow on the staircase. You pointed to it, and the group turned to see a a man walking in with his head hung. He looked up. It was the man with the beanie. His hair was still only just poking out from beneath it, except this time, the peices were plastered to his face from the rain. He had his Suit jacket in his hand, and his button down white shirt was now see-through due to the water.

"Relax, I'm not here to hurt any of you." The man sighed.

"Hello Quackity." Wilbur said, walking over to the man and shaking his hand.

"Great. Now there's another person here to betray us." Tommy sighed.

"I'm not gonna betray you, asshole. I'm here because Schlatt's a fucking drunk, and he's insane." Quackity glared at Tommy.

"That would explain a lot." Niki said, obviously lost in thought.

"As I was saying..." He cleared his throat, throwing a nasty look at Niki. It was obvious he didn't want to be here. "I want to join Pogtopia. Not because I like you guys. I ran against you for fucks sake. No, I think you guys can take Schlatt down." He said, sitting in a chair. "I want him out of office."

"And how do you suggest we do that, genius?" You say, leaning back in your seat and crossing your arms. "We tried tearing the place down. That plan blew up in our face." Wilbur snickered. You shot him a look.

"We start a war against him." Techno said. There was a silence in the room for a moment. You could hear the rain pick back up again outside.

"No, that might actually work." Wilbur said after a few minutes.

"Is there really no other way?" Niki sighed.

"Listen, lady. Life in that damn office isn't all cupcakes and rainbows and shit. You think I would be here if there was another way?" Quackity snapped.

"W- well I- I suppose not..." Niki said, stunned by his aggressiveness.

"Being a dick isn't going to get us to help you." You said simply.

Wilbur moved across the room and slipped into the chair next to you, resting his hand on your thigh.

"So it's settled then? We take out Schlatt." Techno said from the wall.

"We can't just go around starting wars. If we want to gain the support of the people, then we need to figure something else out. War isn't exactly something people are immediately willing to support." Niki reminded.

"So what are you suggesting, woman?" Tommy said, still glaring at Techno and Quackity.

"Why do we try and trick him into handing over power?" She offered.

There was another silence. This time, the silence was so loud your ears were nearly ringing.

"You know, that just might work. I have an idea." Quackity said, ringing out his shirt.

"Not bad for a woman." Tommy scoffed. You watched as Techno brushed passed to group, obviously bored, and into the potato farm.

Wilbur stood up, standing behind you and placing a hand on your shoulders. He pointed his other had at Quackity and Tommy.

"If you two can't come up with a way to get power back to pogtopia, I will not hesitate to tear Manburg down." He said, his grip on your shoulder tightening before releasing you. He turned away and started to walk up the staircase.

"No need to be such a bitch." Tommy mumbled loud enough for Wilbur to hear.

Wilbur stopped dead in his tracks, but didn't turn around. "If I can't have Manburg, no one can." He said in a voice just above a whisper before stalking away, and out of the cave.

Tommy visibly relaxed once Wilbur was out of sight, but not enough to be comfortable. You could tell he still wasn't okay with Quackity's presence, but he didn't say anything more, so you guessed he just accepted it.

Quackity turned one of the chairs away from the table and sat down with his chest pressed against the back of the chair. He folded his arms on the top of the chair's back, and looked at Niki.

"I'm worried about him." She said.

"That's not the Wilbur I started a nation with." Tommy said with a sigh.

You knew what they were talking about. You had seen the way Wilbur looked recently when he talked about L'Manburg. It was like he was a completely different person. You could hear him sneaking out at night, and you don't hear him come back for hours.

When he talked about getting Manburg back, his eyes didn't sparkle with the same hope and pride that they once did. Instead, the were burning with a look of revenge. The hope replaced by loss and hurt. You were worried about him too.

That side of Wilbur only surfaced when the subject of Manburg was brought up. When he was distracted, he was his old self. Happy. Free. You wish you could understand the burden he carries, but you are afraid of asking. Not afraid of what he'll say, but afraid of which Wilbur you would be talking to.

"I miss the old Wilbur." Tubbo whispered. He had been so quiet you almost forgot he was there. He hadn't said much since the festival.

You scoot your chair next to Tubbo. "Are you okay? You've been awfully quiet."

He looked at you. His blue eyes reflected pain and fear. He shakily rolled up the sleeve of his shirt, and extended his left arm to you. You took his hand, not understanding what he was doing, and he flipped his hand over, revealing the inside of his wrist.

On the inside of his wrist we're two perfectly straight, black marks. You gently rubbed your thumb over them.

"What are these...?" You asked quietly.

"His cannon lives." Tommy said, standing next to you. He unwrapped his bandaged hand and held his own left arm out, revealing two black slashes identical to Tubbo.

"Everyone has 3 lives..." Tubbo sniffed. He blinked and a tear rolled down his cheek.

You understood. "The lines represent how many are gone."

Tubbo sniffed again. You turned around to look at Niki and Quackity. They both shook their heads. They hadn't died yet.

You pulled Tubbo and Tommy into a hug. No one let go for a while. None of you wanted to let go. It was easier to be with Tubbo and Tommy than it was anyone else. They were like you. Scared. You felt their pain. You had all been rejected so many times that it felt like the odds of the world was against you.

When you finally let go, Tommy's eyes were red, and Tubbo cheeks had been stained with tears.

"Do you want to talk about it?" Niki asked.

"Are you fucking kidding?" Quackity asked. "We need to find a solution to the bigger problem here."

You stood up and walked over to Quackity, pointing a finger at him. "Cut the boy a break. He lost a cannon life today for notch's sake. I'd like to see you lose a life and not be shaken up."

He glared at you and turned to stalk up the stairs, kicking up dust as he went. When he was out of sight, you walked over to the door of your room, laying your hand on the cold doorknob. You were about to open it, but something stopped you.

You turned around and faced Niki, Tommy, and Tubbo. You beckoned them over to the door. "Come on. We can sit on my bed and talk about it. Besides, it's more comfortable than the old wooden chairs."