30

You walked past the trees you had spent so much time hunting in. Although now most of them were old, barren, and dead. Time was not something that had been pleasant to them. The ground was stripped of any life it once had, and in its place was sill so dry it cracked under your feet. You walked along until you found what looked like the opening to a cave. Pushing past the vines and spiderwebs, the cave opened up. The floor in the cave had once been rocky and hard, but over time a dusting of moss has grown.

I'm the corner was a familiar darkened corridor with stairs set nearly too far apart. You sniffled as you walked down the path you had walked hundreds of times. The only difference was the echo your steps made against the abandoned cavern walls. You stepped out onto the ravine floor. In front of you was two chairs and a broken table missing three of its legs. You wandered over to the chairs and rested your hand on the splintered surface.

You walked down the hallway until you reached what used to be a potato farm. It had been long forgotten and overgrown. There were no longer neat rows of small potato plants, but instead one giant bush that would yield no food.

You found yourself in Wilbur and Tommy's room. Wilburs bed still lay perfectly made while Tommy's was as messy as you would expect it to be. There was a coating of dust over everything in the room.

You tuned back down the hallway and found the door to your old room. It had been pulled off the hinges and there was broken glass on the floor. You looked around to see everything like you had left it, only withered away by time. On your bed neatly folded was the Lmanburg flag blanket, and the sweatshirt Wilbur had given you. On top of that was a bow. You smiled sadly. On the bow was carved a 'T'. Tommy. There was a yellowed envelope next to it. More tears spilled down your face. You sat on the dusty cover, picked up the envelope and opened it. The writing was barely legible.

Hey.
I know you won't need it anymore, but I owed you a bow.
-Your honorary younger brother, Tom

On the letter we're oddly shaped circles like he had accidentally spilt something on it. A tear fell from your cheek onto the letter next to one of the other dried drops on the paper. You put your face in your hands. something poked into your side.

You reached into your pocket to find the envelope from Wilbur still there. It was untouched by time.

You sniffed. You had forgotten about it. You carefully undid the bind and opened it.

Inside was a small disk and a note.

I love you.

You stood up and went to Wilbur's room. You knew he had a disk player under his bed. You didn't know if it would even work anymore, but it was worth a shot

You pulled out a disk player that only a little larger than your hand and hesitantly put the disk in it. Immediately a song started playing. You recognized the song immediately.

You stood up. Smiling sadly and bowing to your invisible dance partner.

"Im not a very good dancer." You giggled, coming back up from your bow.

"Well I supposed I'll just have to teach you then." Wilbur smiled. He took your hand and placed it on his shoulder, as he placed one hand on the small of your back.

You swayed gently to the music. It was a sweet song. It was fast like the beat of your heart, but at the same time, slow as time stopped around you. It felt like all the emotions inside of you surfacing and exploding in a beautiful firework show around you. It sounded a little like falling in love.

The music sped up and so did you, trying your best not to step on his feet. He picked you up and spun you around, laughing when you squeaked. He spun you around until you were so dizzy you couldn't see anymore, but it didn't even matter. You could stay this happy forever.

The music slowed again and Wilbur pulled you close. You laid you head against his chest, and he kissed your forehead before setting his head atop your own.

The music slowed to a stop and you brought your arms back down to your sides and sat on the stone floor. All you were left with was the absent echo around the empty ravine of a song that sounded a little like falling in love.