10

You were running through the enchanted forest. Running from something. Your breath heavy and short as you raced through the trees. The air was thin, wrong even, which was not helping you catch your breath. You heard the footsteps behind you getting closer. The mysterious shadows dancing around your vision, the trees towering above you. You tripped and fell, face planting into the soft moss on the forest floor. Even the moss felt wrong. Looking at the dirt, you saw a few insects crawling through the rough moss, but they were glowing. Not very bright, just a soft glow. The footsteps suddenly stop, and you roll onto your back. Standing above you was the silhouette, the shadows blanketing whatever it was like a cloak, and it was a dark midnight sky color. If you looked hard enough, you could see the reflection of the stars on its skin. It started whispering to you in another language, causing you to fall unconscious.

You wake up in a cold sweat, the sheets on the bed soaked in sweat. Forgetting where you were for a moment, you started to panic. When you gained your bearings, you were even more out of breath, so you wrapped the flag blanket around you before ascending the stairs that led you outside.

It was still pitch black outside. Your breath was caught in your lungs by the cold, crisp, outside air. Folding the blanket on itself so it didn't drag on the ground, you wrapped it tighter around you. Much like before, your feet knew where you were going before you did, taking you up the hill. You don't know why, but the hill gave you comfort. It reminded you of the hills back at the orphanage.

Sitting on top of the hill was Wilbur. He had a guitar in his lap, and he was playing a sweet little song that reminded you of summer, like fireworks exploding on a warm July night, that sounded faintly of falling in love, even as your breaths escaped in cloudy wisps around you. He looked up at you, and seeing that there was no trace of the fire that had been there before, as you sat down in the grass next to him. He played softly for a few minutes before you saw him shivering from the wind that had been laced with frosty air.

You scooted closer and unfolded the blanked before wrapping it around the both of you. He put the guitar down in the grass next to him, bundling the two of you up in the blanket. You felt him wrap his arms around you, pulling you closer and burying his head in your shoulder.

"Couldn't sleep?" You hear him softly ask into your shoulder.

"Nightmares." You whispered. He righted himself, pulling you to his chest before leaning the two of you back into the slope of the hill, which kept you both in a semi-propped up position. You feel the weight of his head lean on yours, his warm breath tickling your ear. Despite what had happened earlier, his arms were warm and safe. You gave into the easy affection, and sank deeper into his chest.

The last thing you remember was Wilbur humming you softly back to sleep.