Making the Climb

Summary: (Takes place in Ghost Protocol) Benji suddenly explains that Ethan must scale a building in under an hours with no prep...

Warnings: Just some swearing, if you squint.

A/N: Who else gets annoyed by Benji putting Ethan's life in that much more danger?

Words: 2379

»»»»»

"What do you mean you can't enter from the hallway?" Ethan inquires in a deeply frustrated tone after Benji's just explained something that will throw off the mission entirely.

You can't help but side with Ethan on this one. And not just because you and him are secretly together and you care for him, but also because Benji has been dropping problems on this mission ever since the start and it's making you pissed.

"What I mean is that you can't get in from there!" Benji yells.

And now he's getting defensive? You think in outrage.

"Why the Hell didn't you mention this earlier?" You snap just as Ethan sighs into his palm and massages the tension between his brows.

"How do I get in, then?"

The room goes deathly still as Benji nods subtly at the windows. You shoot Ethan a questioning glance that he returns. Turning back to Benji you both stare him down until he leaps from his chair and strides up to one of the large floor to ceiling glass panels that covers the entire hotel building and jabs at it with his pointer finger angrily.

"Out there."

"Are you out of your freaking mind?!" You exclaim.

"We were all out of our minds when we decided to go through with this! But it's like the man said," Benji gestures wildly at Ethan and quotes: ""We're the last of the IMF.""

"This is not what he meant." You hiss.

"(Y/N)..." Ethan places a hand on your shoulder and squeezes it gently. "It's ok. Benji's right."

You scowl at Benji one last time and then whip around to face Ethan. He looks stressed. His brows are furrowed so deeply that his forehead had formed an accordion of sorts. Fear and determination glow in his green eyes. A lump lodges in your throat as you ponder what to do. What can you do? Benji is an idiot, that's for sure, but he's honest. And so is Ethan. He'd never lie. Especially to you. If he thinks Benji's got a point...you'd be stubborn or stupid to say otherwise. Or both. You're definitely feeling stubborn right now.

Why shouldn't you be?

It's your boyfriend who's life is on the line.

And Benji wants him to scale a freaking skyscraper...

"Ethan please-"

"It's ok. It'll be fine."

"We're running out of time," Benji announces. "You've got fourty minutes to get up there if you go now."

You bite your lower lip as tears brim in your eyes. Ethan holds your gaze, reading the silent plead. His mouth quirks in a bittersweet smile but he doesn't hug you or kiss you, or anything that will waste time. Instead he turns to Benji with a haggard sigh and asks:

"How do I get up there?"

*Time gap brought to you by Benji and Ethan having an intense Mario Kart race*

It's been twenty minutes. Twenty minutes of watching Ethan struggle to climb the side of a terrifyingly tall building. He's made it up a few floors with much difficulty. Although you trust Ethan, you don't trust the invention Benji supplied him with. At first glance they looked like some fancy winter gloves, but no, they have the "ability" to stick to anything and lock on, sort of like a geckos feet. The only thing is, they're battery powered. So if the battery drains while Ethan's making this frightening climb, he might have to stop hundreds of feet above the ground to change out the battery pack.