The Stable-Hand

Summary: Despite being the daughter of the master of the house, you've fallen in love with a boy descended from a line of arch enemies who serves as a stable-hand...

Warnings: Some swearing, I guess?

A/N: So....I made this book mainly for Ethan Hunt One-Shots, and I'll still write them, but man oh man I keep falling in love with more Tom Cruise characters while browsing clips from his movies! Far and Away looks soooooo good and Joseph's Irish accent KILLS ME! I cannot WAIT to watch it one day! Anyways, I've got two more Joseph One-Shots and a short Tom Cruise one. Lemme know in the comments which you'd like to see next! 

Words: 1660

»»»»»

Having finished the lessons your father demands you take part in, you slip out of the house through the back door. The household servants barely notice you stealing softly down the hall and into the backyard on the balls of your bare feet. By now, they've grown accustomed to your stealthy comings and goings. It's to your benefit that they keep their mouths shut about it too, otherwise your mother would certainly hear and just as certainly let slip to your father who'd come down on not only you, but your precious Joseph as well. Joseph Donelly, the newest stable hand who you've fallen desperately in love with.

It wasn't a choice.

It was fate.

You saw him being struck upside the head for back talking and immediately his dark green eyes found yours. You were all the way up in your room, leaning against the window overlooking the landscape in front of the mansion when Joseph set his sights on you and only you. His superior smacked him a second time, harder than the first, and yet, he held his ground. He did not flinch, nor bat an eye at the rebuke. You drew in a sharp breath and touched your palm to the wintery cold glass, unable to look away from the stunning peasant boy below.

The stable hand's jaw slacked.

His eyes sparkled, even from such a distance.

Yes, it was fate.

A fate your father would spit upon if he knew.

So you kept Joseph to yourself. In the wee hours of the morning, and for fleeting moments throughout the day, you caught him alone and the two of you shared what little of your passions you could. Countless times, another servant had nearly stumbled upon the two of you, whether it was in the barn, by the river, or somewhere behind the house. By sheer luck, no one has ever quite witnessed anything incriminating, though you often wonder in the middle of Joseph's kisses if the sounds you create will draw attention.

Even though you've never been caught, there's always the chance that a servant's heard something. A noise, a whisper, a giggle, and kept it to themselves.

As long as they keep it to themselves, we've got nothin' to worry about, you console yourself as you hurry across the field to the barn, skirts hoisted up off the ground. You take strides as large as a mans, bounding to the crack in the barn doors. A faint, dusty light streams out onto the dirt. The closer you get, the louder the tune being whistled inside is. An excited smile creeps onto your face. You press an ear to the door and listen. The song registers immediately. It's one you've felt rumble beneath your cheek, sung from the heart of the man you love as he holds you close, the two of you entangled in a bed of grass or hay. Your smile widens and you shove an arm through the opening in the large wood doors. Biting back a grunt, you squeeze into the barn, knocking the doors further open as you go.

The whistling is louder than ever.

You carefully shut the barn doors before venturing into the depths of the barn. As you pass a line of stalls, the horses peek their heads out and acknowledge you with a generous snort. One in particular hangs his neck over the stall door and whines for your attention. You chuckle and step up to his stall, offering up both palms for him to nuzzle. Soft and unspeakably warm, the fuzzy flash of his nose tickles your skin. After a while, he blows a sigh straight out of both nostrils. You reach up to pat his forehead, laughing.