In His Arms

Pairing: Maverick x Reader

Summary: You're tired and stressed and falling apart, but Maverick comes home just in time to save you...

Warnings: Serious fluff my people.

A/N: I wrote this in one sitting for a friend who hadn't slept in days and was really stretched thin, and this helped her relax. She's a fellow Tom Cruise stan. And later that day there was a Tornado Warning so I read it myself to calm down as I was stuffed in a closet! Yay. Lol. Anyways, hope y'all enjoy this One-Shot!

Words: 1699

»»»»»

In all your life, you've never felt so down in the dumps. Your heart is heavy, even heavier than your eyes, which drop lower with every passing second as you stare blankly at your study guide, beyond your mental breaking point. The words blur, meshing into a foreign language that torments your senses. Your eyes cross and you sink forward onto the kitchen table, tucking your arms under your chin, you collapse. Finally your eyes fall shut. You start to relax when a pounding starts in the back of your head and your eyes fly open, a wince playing on your trembling lips. The horrible stomping of your brain goes on and on. Louder and louder until your ears ring and the room spins and you're so so tired...

You just want to sleep...

To not think for one minute.

You want a sleep where you don't have to wake up to exams or schoolwork or chores and your mind can rest.

But the headache is relentless and your whole body is quaking, on the brink of self destruction.

Quickly descending into despair, you lift your shaking hands from the table and plant your face into the open palms. Darkness shrouds your vision, but you keep both eyes fully open, afraid of causing your poor capsized brain any more pain.

You part your lips to breathe in the scent of your graphite scrubbed hands but a whimper comes out before you can inhale.

That tiny cry coaxes tears.

Silent tears and shaking shoulders.

Over the internal roar of your distress, you hear a door slam in the distance and the jangle of keys drop onto the coffee table.

"I'm home!"

Through your snotty palms and salt smeared cheeks your burdened heart skips a beat, lifting a little. Maverick, it sings.

Footsteps creak on the floorboards down the hall.

"Baby?"

Maverick

The footsteps stop.

"(Y/N)?"

You lift your head slowly from your hands and turn to face your fiance. Maverick hovers in the doorway to the open plan kitchen/dining room. His brown hair is a perfect mess, tossed about on his head, tangled and layered, sparkling with perspiration. Through your squinted eyes and the sting of tears and exhaustion, you can make out the grim look of concern on Maverick's face as he studies you, sweeping his eyes over your whole figure. He takes an abrupt step forward and reaches out a hand. Your body reacts, twisting around in your seat. Pulled by momentum, Maverick stumbles across the room. You lazily reach out an arm and wait with trembling lips for Maverick to breach the gap. In a haze of light, reflecting off the wall of tears obscuring your vision, you see Maverick's hands fall over yours, enclosing it in the embrace of his fingers. He then drops to one knee and presses the wad of hands to his chest, right over the very first patch he ever earned on his aviator jacket. You can feel a bit of the rough material through the gaps in Maverick's fingers. The familiar texture is like a wrecking ball. The chain screams as it's bulk swings in a powerful arc and in the blink of an eye, the metal link snaps and the weight falls.