Rookies

Summary: You and your husband Tom experiencing yet another day as new parents with your son...

Warnings: Mild language, some *spice* but nothing explicit (y'all know I don't write smut, never fear!) also I don't know if this counts as a warning but ze baby may or may not bite reader's nipple so if that makes you uncomfortable, be forwarned! (Honestly though the fact that babies do that is so mean lol)

A/N: This is a request from @littlemissE12 that I actually managed to write. I've been overwhelmed with school, friends, and my Top Gun fanfic but I needed a little something different and short so I whipped this up. My requests aren't necessarily OPEN but if I see something I like I may or may not get around to it so feel free to drop ideas and who knows, maybe it'll produce fruit! Also I left the name of the son open to interpretation so wherever there's a (Y/S/N) fill in the name you prefer! Leave a comment and let me know what baby names you thought of! I kind of thought of Matthew or Luke. With that, I bid you enjoy the one-shot!

Words: 2188

»»»»»

Nothing in life could've ever prepared you for this. Nothing. Not all your years of schooling, from kindergarten to 12th; not growing up in a house with a loving family; not having pets; not witnessing the comings and goings of life around you. Absolutely, positively nothing could've prepared you for the challenges of motherhood. From the moment you found out you were pregnant to today's first bottle, there've been difficulties. You've suffered exhaustion, anxiety, depression, even anger, towards yourself, your child, your husband. Just as you've been riding this roller coaster that is being a parent, so has your husband, Tom. He might not have carried your little boy in the womb, but he was there on the outside, helping every step of the way. He's held your hair back as you throw up, the lovely side effect of morning sickness. He's helped you up and down stairs, done chores you couldn't manage, bathed you, loved you.

He stayed by you every second you were in labor.

He caught your little boy in both hands.

You'll never forget the way his eyes lit up. His gorgeous green irises imploding in a seering burst of light, falling like a meteor shower.

All for (Y/S/N).

He's just over a year old now, and he's still an enigma.

As an infant, (Y/S/N) didn't understand the word 'sleep' in the slightest. He hiccuped and sobbed for hours in your arms, not wanting milk, just a pair of arms to cuddle him. It was almost as if he was trying to drive you and Tom insane. Those were the days where you survived off of three hours of sleep and maybe a thirty minute nap during the day. Tom would be on and off filming, working on an upcoming courtroom drama while you were at home, struggling to stay awake while (Y/S/N) did what all babies do. Cry, nurse, scream, play, stare.

Oh those eyes.

He got his daddy's eyes.

They were gray for a while, but around the time he hit five months, they started to turn, like leaves in the fall. Only, instead of a crisp, brown shell, they became vibrant green. Like limes. A lighter shade than Tom's. Perhaps with time, they'll darken?

(Y/S/N)'s hair is a soft brown.

Also like his daddy.

But he's got your face.

Cheeks, lips, chin, eye shape, all yours. With the exception of his adorable little nose, which Tom claims is gonna be more like his...

You aren't so sure.