Sunburnt

Summary: You and Joseph go to the shore but you lay in the sun for too long...

Warnings: Mild language and FLUFF

A/N: Soooo my friend and I are on vacation at the beach and she got sunburnt so we made up this image of Tom Cruise kissing the sunburn to soothe it and idk but Joseph felt like he'd fit the scenario so...here ya go!

Words: 1136

»»»»»

Summers in Ireland are pleasantly cool. The harsh sea breeze makes flags of hair and skirts and if you dare to dip so much as a toe into the ocean, you're sure to feel the sudden bite of the Atlantic. The only true heat is found in small sunny patches. They're few and far between and ever chilled by wind. You know you'll have to search for one after playing in the waves. A nervous laugh is pulled from your lips by the breeze and fed to the sea. Joseph's hand clenches around your hand, his fingers soft and thick between yours. He turns over his shoulder, cracking a grin brighter than a thousand gems. Brighter than the Sun could ever hope to be, even in its best season. You cling to Joseph's smile as tightly as you do his hand, and allow him to drag you out to the water. The two of you drop blankets and your basket of lunch on the sand and sprint, already barefoot into the freezing waves.

"JOSEPH!" You shriek.

A shiver frames his boisterous laugh.

"It's n-not th-th-a-at b-bad!"

"Y-yess it is," You grit your teeth together, but wade further out, finding warmth in Joseph's hand alone. "We'll c-catch our d-d-death —"

All of a sudden, you're pushed.

Crushed.

A hand meets the top of your head and like scrap metal, you're pressed squatting beneath the surface.

And it's positively freezing.

You pop up sputtering.

"JOSEPH DONELLY!"

He treds backwards as you lunge at him.

"Still cold?"

"You ass!"

He laughs and laughs and laughs and –

Trips over a stone and sinks like one.

You jump atop him, splashing him mercilessly in retaliation for dunking you. The salty water has your hair knotted in thick, dark fibers that stick to your face. Your plain white gown snaps and curls around your ankles, practically seared to your ice-glazed flesh. Joseph flails and spits, trying to regain his footing.

"Alright! Alright I'm sorry! Bloody hell–"

Your hand sails past his nose but he dodges just in time and catches your wrist in both hands. Damn him and his fist fighting reflexes. Joseph yanks you forward against his chest. You can feel every inch of his skin through the thin linen. It's stretched and soaked like your dress. You struggle against his hold, half laughing, half cursing the stupid Donelly boy and his stupidly attractive strength and gorgeous smile. Your squirming doesn't help a bit. Joseph's got his arms locked around your body.

"Quit flailing like a fish!"

"Then let me go you bastard–"

Both your voices and bodies are swallowed by an enormous wave.

You wash up together, legs and arms tangled, laughing and hacking.

The rest of the afternoon is no different. Chasing each other in the water, splashing, tackling, and kissing...on occasion. One instance in particular, Joseph's stalking you through the water like a shark, just his nose and up visible above the rippling surface. You wind up backed against a boulder, trapped by him. Grinning, Joseph places either hand beside your head. Fat droplets lick down his forearms to the bunched up sleeves pinched in the crook of his elbow. His caramel curls are a hideous mess. He's wet as a dog, but that doesn't stop him from smooshing you flat to the rock and kissing you so hard you nearly forget your legs. You feel as if you could be a mermaid, caught by a fisherman's son. Joseph's hands grasp at your soggy locks, weaving towards your scalp as his kisses wander.

You carefully scoop a plentiful helping of water...

And toss it into Joseph's face.

He staggers back and you run to shore.

"Come and catch your kiss, Joseph!"

He catches a few, before you decide to eat and dry off in a patch of sunlight. You found it near the water's edge, where your toes can feel the cool lapping of the waves while the heat toasts the rest of you.

Joseph lies with you for a while, his bare chest beneath your ear, your legs thrown over his.

The kiss of the seabreeze and the song the Sun conducts beneath the skin are the blanket that tuck you into bed; the gentle roar of the ocean is the mother's lullaby that eases you to sleep. Your body sighs and dips into the sand, unaware of Joseph getting up, or how the sun begins to lower in the sky. You forget time in your slumber and eventually, Joseph is forced to shake you awake.

A pair of lips brush each eyelid, "It's time to go, (Y/N)."

"Sorry...fell asleep..."

"C'mon," Joseph takes your hands and helps you sit up, grunting as you let him bear all your weight. "We ought to be back before supper or yer mother's sure to worry."

As you laugh, you cast your eyes to your lap but a flash of red steals their attention.

You gasp.

Joseph flinches, seizing your hands. "What is it?"

"My arms."

They're red as apples. Absolutely burnt from the end of your sleeve to just above your wrists. Joseph's fingers accidentally skim a bit of tender skin and you hiss, drawing your arms against your sides.

His eyes soften. "Sorry."

"Ow..." You moan, eyeing the bright red skin.

Joseph pouts his lips.

"Want me to make it better?"

You bite the inside of your cheek, fighting back tears. Now that you're awake, you can feel the simmer of the burns. They sting, just enough to pain you but not enough to keep you bedridden and useless. It's a frustrating sort of discomfort that you despise. Joseph's puppy eyes compliment his tousled damp curls. Ever so slowly, he reaches for your hands, gauging the hurt through your eyes. Your lower lip quivers as he raises one arm to the level of his chin. What could he be doing? How could he help? You want to go home and soak your arms in cold water or cover them with a wet rag...so what is Joseph doing? Your eyes follow his every move intently, simultaneously admiring his beauty and grace whilst inquiring after his actions. He surprises you by dipping his lips to the edge of the burn. Your breath hitches and you cringe, expecting pain –

His kisses are gentle.

They cool the scalding skin.

Like inchworms, they crawl up your arm.

Lingering here...skipping there...

Up to the cuff of your short sleeves.

You meet Joseph's mischievous eyes. He nips at your sleeve playfully, and you laugh.

"Better?" He asks.

"I've got another arm."

Needless to say, Joseph is quick to heal the other as thoroughly as the first.

Upon reaching your sleeve, he tilts his head back enough to meet your lips in a loving kiss.

"What would I do without you, Joseph?" You breathe.

He just smiles.