Not Ugly

Summary: When Tom shows an insecurity kept secret, it's up to you to console him...

Warnings: Mild language.

A/N: This is for @IreneCharlotte who is a fellow Tom Cruise Simp (Idk what we call ourselves...Cruisers???) and she gave me the wonderful prompt behind this One-Shot. It's kinda funny because there's rumors going around about Tom Cruise's face being 'puffy,' whatever THAT means, and so writing this I sort of felt like I was with Tom...comforting him...weird, but the circumstances made for some great imagination. Alright, enough said! I hope you enjoy the One-Shot!

Words: 2201

»»»»»

Being Tom Cruise's wife has its perks and it's downsides. You have the undying respect and admiration of all his female fans, who repeatedly remind you how desperately they want to be you. While it can be slightly disturbing, a part of you is grateful for the reminder. Whether or not they mean to, the fans keep fresh in your mind God's sovereignty. There's nothing you wouldn't give to live this life forever with Tom. He's your Sun. You orbit him, and though that sounds restrictive and oddly oppressive, it's nothing short of heaven. Ever since you met him back in High School, two kids who wanted nothing more than to make the movies they loved so dearly, you've always been ready to give your everything to him.

There was something in Tom's eyes when you first met, a sparkle you'll never forget and it changed your life. For the better, of course.

Your best highschool memories were the two of you seeing movies every week. Renting tapes and rewatching all the same films so often your parents used to say to you, "your eyes will turn to squares," from staring at the TV for so long.

Even if your eyes did miraculously change shape, you couldn't have cared less. Those special moments with Tom built this beautiful love you share now, almost half a century later. You've both compiled impressive filmographies, rallied a global army of fans, and spent every waking moment of your lives doing what you love most; making movies. Many of your jobs you share with Tom. Your very first film was the Outsiders, which you both starred in. The day the Outsiders hosted auditions, Tom dragged you with him. It was directly after the two of you put on your best performance that Tom swore to you that he'd never let the industry get to his head. He held your hands in his, clasped against the rapid beat of his heart as he promised to stay true to you. That no starry eyed costar would ever take your place in his life.

Back then, you doubted.

You were both so young.

"An attractive pair if ever I've seen one," your Mom once said.

Yes, the two of you were favorites, physically speaking, but it was your skill and drive that bought you one way tickets to the top.

It's been years since your debut in Hollywood and yet you feel you haven't aged a day.

Neither does Tom, or at least, he doesn't show it.

He's still jumping out of planes and running across rooftops and making the million Mission Impossible movies.

Now there's even talk of a Top Gun reprise, named after your husband's character, Maverick.

You weren't in Top Gun, but if it's true that Kelly McGillis won't be joining the crew, Tom's suggested casting you. He's brought it up three times in the past month. Every time Top Gun comes up, he says -

"You'd do a great job in it, don't you think?"

To which you can't help but agree and watch that successful smirk light up his face. He's really hard set on getting you involved in the project. You wouldn't mind at all. Especially since he's more than likely trying to land you as Maverick's new love interest. Never in your life have you turned down the chance to love on your husband, and you certainly aren't going to start now!