Bad Blood

Over the following weeks, I felt like things were beginning to level out. I'd gotten used to my new job, and was even enjoying it now. The money was coming in handy, allowing me to just about cover my various bills and buy groceries, and with the stress levels easing, I was attending my auditions with less fear and panic over my situation, giving me the clarity to nail one and score my first job. Sure, it wasn't anything major, just a minor role in an advert for some new body lotion. But it was something, and I was still excited to finally have my name on a professional job.

"That's amazing," Stacey said happily when I told the girls at the beginning of my shift.

The girls all chipped in with various words of congratulations and excitement, none of them looking to take away from the success even with it being such a small job. It was nice to have friends again, I felt like I'd been alone for so long now, that being surrounded by people who cared and supported me was like a breath of fresh air.

"What's all the hub-bub?" Charlie asked distractedly as he entered the staff room with his clipboard, not looking up as he made various ticks on the list.

"Selena got her first job." Tilly, one of the dancers, beamed beside me, practically bouncing up and down with her usual youthful energy.

"Wow, congratulations," He said happily, his eyes springing up from the page and locking with mine, a wide smile tugging at the corners of his mouth. "Great job."

"Thanks," I said happily.

I felt rejuvenated since landing my first role, I no longer felt unworthy of being here, it was like I was finally on the ladder, and it had filled me with more confidence than I'd had in a long time. I set to work that night with an extra pep in my step, and from the reception I received from the customers, I had a feeling that it showed.

I raked in the biggest tips that I'd had since starting here, and at the end of the night, I was taking home almost two hundred dollars.

I was on my way back to the staff room at the end of the night, ready to grab my stuff and head home, when I passed Charlie's office, hearing raised voices within.

"I told you, no," Charlie snapped.

"And there's no room for a little convincing?" Another man replied, his cold voice making the hairs on the back of my neck prickle.

I heard the creak of a chair, presumably Charlie getting to his feet.

"She's a waitress, not a dancer. I have plenty of girls that can give you a private dance. But she isn't one of them." He growled.

The other man laughed, and from where I stood, it sounded as though he wasn't willing to take Charlie seriously, something which I was sure he'd live to regret if he wasn't careful. He certainly seemed determined for one of these waitresses to dance for him, and I wondered who it was.

Probably Stacey. I thought to myself.

She was gorgeous after all. Amazing physique, long jet-black hair and golden-brown eyes. She was admired by all of the customers. She told me how she used to be one of the dancers here, started off as one, but switched to a waitress when she got engaged to her fiance Tommy. So with that reasoning, it made sense that he'd be defending her right to not get back on stage.

A sound on the other side of the door snapped me out of my thought process, alerting me to the fact that I was technically eavesdropping, something I was sure Charlie wouldn't be happy about. I was about to scurry off when the other man spoke again.

"Are you sure it's not just because you want her all to yourself?" He taunted.

"Not that I need to convince you Dalton, but there's nothing going on between Selena and myself."

Me?

I stared, aghast, at the door. They were talking about me?... No, they were arguing about me.

"Are you sure about that? I mean there's a pretty strong resemblance. As soon as I saw her, the first thing I thought was how similar she looked to Jen-"

A loud thud sounded, and I leapt back away from the door.

"Don't you dare say her name," Charlie roared, I heard his steps getting closer, then a scuffle, before he lowered his voice dangerously, "You have your answer, now get... out!"

Running out of time, I quickly darted out of sight, hurrying along the corridor and slipping into the staff room, leaning back against the wall as I distantly heard the office door open. I blew out a long breath, relieved that I'd made it safely away before being caught, then jumped as I heard a smash. Whatever the hell was going on back there, was definitely intense.

I changed quickly and quietly, not wanting anyone to know that I was here, then crept back out of the room, intending to slip out unnoticed.

"Selena?" Charlie called as I tiptoed past his office.

Shit!

I tried to cover my awkwardness as I stepped inside his office, eyeing up the broken glass that he was sweeping into a trash can.

"Are you okay?" I asked.

He furrowed his brow and then shook his head with a laugh.

"I take it you heard everything," He said.

"I can say no if that makes it easier?" I shrugged, making a feeble attempt at a joke.

"It might make it easier, but maybe not the best thing to do," He sighed.

"Who was that?" I asked.

"That... was my brother."

I barely registered my mouth falling open in shock. That was definitely not what I thought he was going to say.

"Wow, I..." I began clearing my throat and finding myself lost for words.

"Yeah, we have a fairly strained..."

"Relationship?" I offered.

"Connection," He finished. "I don't class us as even related, so the idea of us sharing a relationship sickens me beyond words," He added coldly.

"I see," I replied uneasily. "I'm sorry."

He looked confused as he refocused his attention toward me.

"Why?"

"Because you were defending me, and clearly it got physical," I said, pointing out the redness to his knuckles.

"Don't be. It may have started over defending you, but this was as part of something else," He explained.

He sat down behind his desk, running a hand over his face as he exhaled sharply. It was clear from his expression that whatever it was that was between him and his brother, it carried a lot of weight and misery.

"Do you wanna talk about it?"

He chuckled lightly, lowering his hands and managing a small smile.

"You don't want to hear it, trust me. You should head home, it's been a long night."

"I wouldn't offer if I wasn't serious," I assured him. "But it has been a long night, you're right." I adjusted my bag higher up my arm, "So let's get out of here, you can have a drink and mine and vent whilst I eat my way through a huge pile of leftover pasta."

This time I got a proper laugh, and after a moment's contemplation, he nodded in agreement, grabbing his jacket and following me out of the office.