Pain

Beep... beep... beep. The rhythmic sound was the first thing that I registered as I began to open my eyes, wincing in the bright white light overhead. As I grew acclimatised to it, I was able to register blurry shapes nearby, my eyes widening further to bring them more into focus.

"You're awake."

Ross... he was here.

I smiled as soon as I heard his voice, turning my head to the side to find him standing by my bed, everything else around me making it was clear that I was in the hospital.

"Hey," I said gently, my voice weaker than usual and raspy, scratching at my throat.

"Hey," He replied quietly.

He was still in his uniform, and I took it to mean that he'd raced here straight from the station whilst still on shift. His eyes were red and his expression strained. I wanted to hug him, to reassure him that I was okay, but from the aches all over my body, I was pretty sure it would be a little while before I could get up and do that, so instead, I reached for his hand, my own feeling heavy and stiff. Taking it in his own, he gave it a gentle squeeze.

"I'll call the doctor, they'll want to know you're awake."

He gently released my hand and then ducked through the curtains, returning a few minutes later with a doctor.

The man, presumably in his fifties, was brusque and to the point, with sharp, cool blue eyes, silvery hair and a no-nonsense attitude. He read from the chart in his hand without looking up, explaining the lack of breaks or fractures to my body, whilst mentioning the minor cuts and scrapes and the concussion that they were keeping me in to monitor. After explaining that I was lucky, he went on to say that the police would be calling in later for a statement, then retreated.

"What a wonderful bedside manner," I commented sarcastically, trying to sit up straighter, and coughing a little as my attempt at a laugh backfired.

I looked up at Ross who seemed to be lost in thought and bit my lip.

"Are you okay?" I asked after a minute passing in silence.

He began to refocus and nodded his head quickly, stepping forward and pulling a nearby chair with him, taking a seat beside me.

"Should be asking you that," He replied.

I couldn't help but think that something felt off about him, he seemed distant, not quite present.

Probably still shocked. I thought, putting myself in his shoes. After all, it can't have been easy to be on the other end of that call. To have to rush to the hospital unknowing what was happening.

Taking his hand once more, I looked him right in the eye, putting on the biggest smile that I could manage and saying:

"I'm fine. You heard the doctor, just a few bumps and bruises."

"And a concussion," He added curtly.

"And a concussion," I repeated, "But it's nothing that won't heal up."

He nodded slowly.

"What happened, Lena?"

I shifted uncomfortably at the question, his eyes finding mine as I tried to remember what happened outside the club. Things were foggy and unclear. But the more I thought, the more I felt like I recognised him, or at least his voice.

"I was jumped by a man," I answered, "I think he was in the club earlier," I added as an afterthought, mumbling it more to myself than to him.

"I wouldn't have thought violent drunks would frequent exclusive clubs," Ross replied.