Epilogue

Epilogue

                                                                                 Six Months Later:

"Have you seen my keys anywhere?" I shouted in panic, rifling through the collection of things on the coffee table and feeling between the couch cushions.

"Did you try the hook by the door?" Ross called from the hall in a calm and somewhat teasing voice.

"Yes of course I d-" I stopped dead as I looked up to find him now lounging against the doorframe, holding my keys aloft, a cocky smirk across his face.

"Ugh," I groaned, flopping down onto the sofa, raking my fingers through my hair in agitation.

"Hey, take a breath already, you don't need to stress out so much," He said comfortingly, drawing nearer and kneeling by my feet, his hands gently pulling mine from my face, before lacing his fingers between my own.

"This is my first audition since before we even moved here," I blurted out, "What if I screw it up, what if they laugh me out of the place?"

He chuckled warmly and shook his head.

"That's not going to happen. Have a little faith in yourself, Lena. I do."

A smile spread across my face at his reassurance.

"I wish it was that easy," I sighed.

"It is. You get up," He tugged me swiftly from the couch, making me squeak with surprise, "Then you smile, and you say, 'I can do this!'." He wrapped me in his arms, his face mere inches from mine, his eyes crinkling softly as they stared into mine. "Try it."

Taking a slow breath, I smiled as brightly as I could and recited:

"I can do this."

His lips were suddenly against my own, catching me off guard as he stole a sweet and tender kiss.

"And I can do that," He winked when he pulled away.

"Always," I whispered, kissing him again and feeling a little of my panic subsiding. "Wish me luck," I added as we broke apart and I scooped my keys up from where he'd placed them on the coffee table.

"Lots of luck," He nodded.

I smoothed my hands over my dress, pulling my blazer a little straighter and holding my head up.

"I can do this," I said again.

With a parting glance to Ross, I set off for the front door, looking back in confusion when he followed.

"Oh, did I forget to mention, I'm coming with you," He beamed.

"What? You are?"

"Of course. I knew today was going to be a big step for you, there's no way I'm leaving you to face it alone." He took my keys from my hand and opened the door whilst I stared, awestruck, at the man who I was so lucky to call mine, "I'm driving."

We took a seat in the large studio building where the auditions were being held, waiting for my name to be called. The wait itself would have been agonising had it not been for Ross, who sat at my side, holding my hand and whispering words of encouragement each time that the woman rose to her feet, poised over her clipboard to read the next name on the list.

When it finally reached my turn, I felt like someone had chucked an entire bucket of ice water down my back, almost leaping to my feet, forgetting everything instantly, including the manner in which to behave at such an event.