Reunited

I couldn't grasp the fact that he was here. He was actually here! After months apart, he was right in front of me, wearing the brightest smile that I'd ever seen on his handsome face. His light brown hair was shorter than the last time I saw him, but it suited him. The hall light made his golden eyes sparkle as he beamed at me and my mouth dropped open as shock, guilt and happiness all warred within me.

"Surprise!" He said happily.

"How are you here right now?" I gasped, my eyes stinging as tears threatened to fall from my emotional overflow.

"That's a story for later," He whispered, shaking his head a little and coming closer, his arms rising before capturing me in a huge hug.

Being wrapped in his strong arms was like coming home. I inhaled the familiar scent of his cologne as he held me tight until I finally relaxed against him, my own arms rising to grip him tightly whilst I nestled against his shoulder, allowing myself to melt into his safe and comforting embrace.

"I'm here," He said softly as my tears flowed, falling against his t-shirt. He let out a sigh, running his hand up and down my back, whispering against my ear, "I've missed you so much."

"I've missed you too," I said softly, holding him even tighter, scared that if I let go, he'd disappear.

"I can tell," He chuckled softly, pulling back and cupping my cheek, wiping away a stray tear with his thumb, "What's wrong?"

I didn't even know what to say. What was wrong? Where the hell to start? I'd waited for months for him to get here, missed him every hour of the day and night, and struggled to come to terms with the fact that I had no idea when he'd finally arrive. I'd longed for his touch every day, and today... the one day that it had all gotten too much, and I'd acted out in such an unforgivable way... he finally came home. I was so happy to see him, but so devastated that it wasn't before I made the biggest mistake of my life. Of course, I couldn't tell him all that. He was here, he was by my side, I couldn't be without him again, I couldn't lose him. I couldn't break his heart.

Managing a watery smile, I shook my head.

"Nothing's wrong," I lied, "I'm just so happy you're here."

With a smirk, he pulled me closer, capturing my lips in a tender, passionate kiss. My arms locked around his neck and he lifted me from the floor, carrying me further inside as his tongue brushed my own. The memory of my forbidden liaison with Charlie stampeded through my head igniting my fight or flight response, but I fought back, forcing myself not to flee and ruin this moment or make Ross suspicious. Instead, I kissed him back harder, allowing the familiar chemistry to flow through me, erasing every trace of Charlie from my mind and body. With my enthusiastic response, it wasn't long before we were blundering through the apartment, making a beeline for the bedroom, where we reunited in a frenzy of passion and lust, way into the night.

I woke the following morning, to the soft buzzing sound of my phone. Blinking in the early morning light, I was about to check the screen when I registered the soft weight of an arm draped over my hip. I turned over, smiling to myself as my tired eyes landed on Ross, still fast asleep, beside me. Enjoying the little bubble of safety that I now had with him by my side, I ignored my phone and the responsibilities that I had in the outside world, and snuggled back up, relishing in the comforting warmth of his body being so close to mine, whilst I traced the delicate stubble across his jaw.

"Morning," He whispered, a sleepy smile tugging at the corners of his mouth as he slowly opened his eyes, his hand curling around my hip and drawing me closer.

He was unbelievably adorable first thing in the morning with his hair all messed up from sleep, and his eyes struggling to remain open for more than a couple of seconds at a time.