Chapter One

"Moonpaw! Oakpaw! Moonpaw! Oakpaw!" ThunderClan cheered their names as they became apprentices. Batheart was very excited because she was getting her apprentice!

She padded up, along with Hawkflight, to their new apprentices. Batheart got Moonpaw and Hawkflight got Oakpaw.

She went and touched her nose to Moonpaw's and Hawkflight did the same to Oakpaw.

Riverstar jumped down from the Highrock and went to her den. Batheart scowled at her. She didn't like Riverstar because Riverstar didn't believe her story - which was incredibly obvious.

Now, two moons later, Batheart felt more confident about it. She wasn't going to be someone who Crowflight can take over, or someone who Shadowheart breaks down. She was her own cat.

"Come on, Batheart! I wanna see the territory!" exclaimed Moonpaw. Batheart blinked back into reality.

"Alright, Moonpaw, let's go." they both padded out into the territory and climbed the ravine. "Careful! Its steep!" warned Batheart.

Moonpaw seemed to be an excellent climber. She had steadied herself when she almost fell climbing the ravine.

"Where do you want to go first?" asked Batheart. "Wow. Um you're letting me choose? Hm.." Moonpaw thought for a while, "can we see Sunningrocks?" she finally asked.

Batheart's chest filled with anxiety. "Sure.." she hoped that Skywing wouldn't be there! She has been meeting up with him for as long as she could remember.

They padded off in the direction of Sunningrocks. "First," they paused at a bramble wall that led to the Sandy Hollow. "I am going to show you the Sandy Hollow."

Moonpaw followed her into the small hole in the bramble wall. "Wow!" Moonpaw exclaimed as they emerged into the large, sand-covered ground.

"This is where you will be doing battle training," explained Batheart. Inside, she was exploding. It was amazing being able to share her skills with a young cat.

"I can't wait!" Moonpaw exclaimed, darting quickly around the clearing. Batheart laughed. "We can do battle training tomorrow if you'd like!" she called to her, Moonpaw came running quickly back.

"Really? Awesome!" Moonpaw looked eagerly up at Batheart. "This is going to be fun" Batheart chuckled, she still couldn't believe she was a mentor, it felt like just yesterday she was a small, desperate kit!

"Let's head to Sunningrocks now, Moonpaw." it was sunset, and Lightheart had ordered her to go on the night patrol.

"Okay!" Moonpaw ran through the bramble entrance and Batheart followed.

They padded on, heading for Sunningrocks. Batheart was silently praying Skywing wouldn't be there. They arrived at the stones and Batheart's heart dropped. Laying on the stones was Skywing.

"What is that funny smell?" asked Moonpaw, wrinkling her nose. "That's RiverClan scent, and that tom is on our territory." replied Batheart, pretending not to know who Skywing was.

She wanted to hide away in the bushes so she wrapped her tail around Moonpaw and drug her with Batheart into the bushes but it was too late. Skywing had spotted them.

"Hey! Batheart!" he called, coming towards them. "RiverClan! What are you doing on our territory!" exclaimed Batheart, stepping out of the bushes, Moonpaw followed.

"What?" Skywing looked confused. I'm so sorry! To protect us! "Get out of here!" she hissed at him.

"B-But Batheart.." hurt filled Skywing's gaze, Batheart felt awful. "I said get out or else I'll shred you!" she unsheathed her claws.

Skywing gave her one last glance of sorrow and ran away, leaping into the river.

"That mangy RiverClan tom had better learnt his lesson!" Moonpaw unsheathed her claws and scowled into the direction that Skywing went.

"Y-Yeah.." Batheart had never felt this hurt before. She hated herself. But it was for the best.. Moonpaw couldn't know about them, it would only mean more trouble.

"Did that tom know you?" asked Moonpaw, hopping around the Sunningrocks.

Batheart walked up to her and stopped her in her tracks. "Careful, you could hurt youself." she meowed.

"Well? Did he know you? Do you know him?" Moonpaw continued to question her.

Batheart finally gave in to answering. "I've seen him before at Gatherings, but I don't know why he seems so obsessed with me." Batheart hated herself.

"Oh, weird." Moonpaw kept leaping around Sunningrocks. "So, you like it here?" Batheart asked her.

"Definetly! It's amazing! There are stones to leap on, a beautiful river..." Moonpaw's voice drifted off as Batheart got lost in her own thoughts.

I hope Skywing isn't so hurt that he doesn't love me anymore.. I didn't mean anything I said!

"Batheart? Are you listening?" asked Moonpaw, Batheart snapped back into reality. "Wha-? Oh sorry, Moonpaw, what were you saying?"

Moonpaw rolled her eyes. "I was saying that I love Sunningrocks!" Batheart touched her nose to Moonpaw's. "That's good. I don't like Sunningrocks." Batheart looked down at her paws.

Moonpaw looked at her curiously. "Why? It's beautiful!" Moonpaw begun to hop around again.

"It's not the sights.. it's.." Batheart had to stop herself from bursting into tears.

Moonpaw stopped dead in her tracks. "Oh, Batheart! What's wrong?" she asked her.

"My mother was killed by a RiverClan warrior here." Batheart's gaze turned from sad to anger.

Shinewhisker.. I have every right to be furious at her! Moonpaw came forward and nuzzled her head into Batheart's chest fur.

"I'm so sorry!" Moonpaw exclaimed, looking back up at her. Batheart met her sympathetic gaze.

"It's alright. I still remember her scent." Batheart looked up into the dusky sky. A singular star stood in the indigo sky. She wondered if it was her mother looking down at her.

"May I ask her name?" Moonpaw broke the silence. "Goldenwing." Batheart felt a sudden chill run through her.

"What a beautiful name," Moonpaw said, she nuzzled her once more. "I'm glad to have you as my mentor."

Batheart's heart swelled up with affection for her apprentice. "And I'm glad to have such a smart apprentice!" Batheart praised.

"Now, we should get back, I have the dusk patrol to catch." Batheart padded away with Moonpaw back to camp.

She definetly felt a whole lot better about her situation with Skywing. She had to thank Moonpaw for that.

Her life seemed to be getting a little bit easier, knowing that another cat cared about her.