Chapter Eighteen

Streampaw's POV. Told in the first person.

I was dripping water on some herbs when I heard a rustle at the entrance. It was Sweetwish. I exited the herb store to meet her. "Where is Meadowheart?" Sweetwish asked, I looked in her eyes and read her emotions. She was very anxious and scared.

Frowning, I looked at her. "She's out. What's wrong?" Sweetwish started pacing. She was restless.

"Lay down in one of those nests over there," I instructed calmly. Sweetwish nodded and sat down. I sniffed her over. She seemed pretty stressed, but I didn't smell anything out of the ordinary.

"What is wrong?" I repeated. Sweetwish hesitated, then responded. "My belly aches, a lot." she winced.

"Hm," I thought for a while. I could give her a few juniper berries for the pain, but I'm going to run an exam over her belly to make sure it isn't anything else.

I ran my paw over Sweetwish's belly. It felt and looked larger. Then, I felt something move."Oh, StarClan.." I muttered to myself. Sweetwish instantly lifted her head and looked at me with desperate eyes.

"What? What is it?" Sweetwish exclaimed.

"I-I think you're going to have kits, but I have to check with Meadowheart to make sure," I responded.

"HOLY STARCLAN!" exclaimed Sweetwish. I couldn't suppress a laugh. "That's not a guarantee, I'm not a full medicine cat-" I was cut off when Sweetwish threw up.

"Yep, you're expecting kits." I giggled.

"Oh, I'm sorry, Streampaw, for the mess." Sweetwish apologized, she laughed nervously.

"It's alright, no big deal," I responded. Meadowheart's scent caught the breeze. "Meadowheart?" I called for her. "I think Sweetwish is expecting kits. I did an exam, also she threw up." I laughed.

Meadowheart looked at me. "Good job." Meadowheart checked Sweetwish.

"Yep. She's expecting kits. Congratulations, Oakleaf will be happy to know." Meadowheart smirked.

"How did you know I'm mates with Oakleaf?" Sweetwish exclaimed, burying her head in her paws.

"I'm very observant." Meadowheart just started and moved on. She went to the herb store.

"It was very obvious," I remarked, winking at her. Sweetwish rolled her eyes.

Meadowheart came back with a leaf wrap. She opened it up and it contained a lot of juniper berries.

"Eat one or two depending on your belly pains." Meadowheart pushed the berries towards her.

Sweetwish nodded. Meadowheart looked at me. "Remember, juniper berries are good for soothing belly aches."

"I'll make you a nest in the nursery," I stated, with a smile. "Okay, thank you," Sweetwish commented.

I exited the den and out into the camp. The sun was setting now. I exited camp and looked for moss. I ran far until I saw Mothermouth. I hopped down the small cliff and onto a boulder below.

I looked everywhere for moss. I found a small stream behind the boulder I was on. Found some! I scooped it out with my claws. And it's dry too!

I carried my moss back up the cliff and I ran into Juniperpaw, Frostedpaw, and Fallenpaw. I put my moss down. "Hey!" I nuzzled all of them. "Hello, Streampaw!" exclaimed Frostedpaw.

"What are you all doing?" I asked.

"We're on the evening patrol with Batstar and Skywing. We ran ahead a bit." answered Fallenpaw.

"Nice!" I responded. I saw Batstar and Skywing come up behind my siblings.

"Hello, Streampaw!" Batstar greeted me by touching her nose to mine.

"Excited for the Gathering?" Skywing asked me. Gathering? Oh right! Meadowheart told me earlier.

"Oh! I almost forgot!" I laughed at myself. "Yes, I'm very excited!" Batstar and Skywing chuckled.

"We should be on our way." Juniperpaw narrowed his eyes at me. StarClan, who spat in his fresh-kill?

"Alright, I'll see y'all!" I dipped my head to them. "Bye!" responded Frostedpaw. Everyone said their goodbyes except Juniperpaw.

What is with him?

I shrugged it off, picked up my moss, and ran back to camp. I went to the nursery and put down the moss. I made it so it looked nice and cozy. I then padded to the fresh-kill pile and picked a large rabbit. Maybe she and Oakleaf could share this. I thought.

I brought the rabbit to the den and put it next to the nest. I quickly ran back to the medicine cat's den and helped Sweetwish up. "Here, lean on my shoulder," I instructed. Sweetwish grunted her thanks.

We walked over to the nursery and I helped her down. "Want me to go fetch Oakleaf?" I asked. Sweetwish nodded, still visibly embarrassed.

I exited the den and ran to the warrior's den. "Oakleaf?" I called. "Yes?" Oakleaf stepped out of the den.

"Sweetwish wants you, she's in the nursery," I told him. Oakleaf's eyes widened. I nodded slowly. Shocked, Oakleaf raced off towards the nursery.

"Let all cats old enough to catch their own prey, join beneath the Greatledge for a Clan meeting." Batstar made the announcement. I quickly ran to the center of the camp to watch Batstar announce the cats for the Gathering.

"Streampaw, we sit below the Greatledge with the deputy." Meadowheart came up behind me and explained.

I nodded. "Okay." Wow! What an incredible opportunity to be with the deputy of our Clan. I can't believe I already worked with her and her unborn kits... Let's make the most of it and make a lasting impression! I walked with Meadowheart to sit under the Greatledge, I smoothed my fur to make sure I didn't look like a mess.

Cats were already coming out of their dens and settling down to hear Batstar's words. I saw Sweetwish hobbling uncomfortably to sit beneath the Greatledge. "The cats going to this moon's Gathering are," Batstar paused.

"Meadowheart, Moonwish, Oakleaf, Frostedpaw, Streampaw, Juniperpaw, and Fallenpaw," Batstar announced.

Batstar hopped down and led the way towards the entrance. All the selected cats followed. "Follow me," Meadowheart said. "We sit below the Great Rock once we get there."

I nodded nervously. Do I seriously sit with all the other medicine cats and deputies? I pondered as we exited camp and out into the hot air. It was night, but it still hadn't cooled down yet. We all trotted confidently to the edge of our territory. We crossed the small Thunderpath to ShadowClan territory.

We very quickly crossed their territory, then crossed the large Thunderpath and ran down to Fourtrees. Batstar flicked her tail and we darted in the hollow. ShadowClan was already there, and so were WindClan and ThunderClan.

I saw a slight look of longing in Batstar's eyes as she looked over at the ThunderClan cats. Batstar had to leave her Clan for a prophecy... What an honorable thing to do. Batstar then ran over to the Great Rock and jumped up.

"Now, we have some time, go chat with some other cats while we wait for the leaders to start the Gathering," Meadowheart muttered in my ear.

My eyes darted around, wondering where to go. I then walked around looking at all the cats, pondering to myself about everything. I wonder why Batstar had to leave ThunderClan. She never gave me a straight answer when I asked as a kit...