Chapter Nine

Batstar led Meadowheart, Brambleheart, Skywing, Sweetwish, Oakpaw and Moonpaw around StormClan territory. The territory started at the Thunderpath that was just across from a barn, they set down their scent markers.

StormClan territory went all along to the other Thunderpath that separates StormClan from ShadowClan. They set down more markers.

They found an area with a few big boulders and below the boulders was a nice sandy clearing.

"We could call this Big Rocks." commented Meadowheart, she sniffed the rocks. "It would be perfect for training."

"That's a great idea, Meadowheart." Batstar praised. "Big Rocks." Skywing echoed. "It has a nice ring to it." Batstar nodded. "It does. Now we've been out for a while, we should head back." she concluded.

Batstar was leading everyone back when she felt a large pain in her belly. She winced. "What's wrong?" ssked Skywing, coming up behind her.

"I don't know, but my stomach hurts, a lot." Batstar looked down at her belly, it was larger than normal.

Skywing followed her gaze to her belly, Batstar looked up, Skywing's eyes widened as he met her gaze. Meadowheart padded up to Batstar. "Your stomach looks swollen, you must be expecting kits." Batstar's eyes widened, Moonpaw, Oakpaw, Brambleheart and Sweetwish looked at her.

"That's awesome!" exclaimed Sweetwish. Batstar nodded slowly, still in shock.

They went quickly back to StormClan's camp and Meadowheart had pulled her apart from everyone. "I am being trained by a cat from StarClan. He was a medicine cat." Meadowheart looked at her paws.

"I see. Well StormClan does need a medicine cat." Batstar replied, she winced at another pain.

"Yes, but what about Oakpaw? I know by a fact he doesn't want to be a medicine cat." Meadowheart commented, looking Batstar in the eyes.

"Brambleheart can train him, I'll make Sweetwish deputy. That shall solve both of StormClan's problems." Batstar concluded.

"I'll make the announcement now." Batstar left the den, Meadowheart following. Batstar hopped onto the Greatledge. She felt one of her kits move in her belly, then kick. She winced again.

"Let all cats old enough to catch their own prey, join beneath the Greatledge for a Clan meeting!" Batstar called the cats together.

Once everyone was sitting down, Batstar went on. "I have much to announce today, but first, StormClan needs a medicine cat. Meadowheart is being trained by an old medicine cat in StarClan and she will become StormClan's new medicine cat."

There were shocked mews rippling through the camp. "As for Oakpaw, I've decided that Brambleheart will train him."

Brambleheart padded up to Oakpaw and touched noses with him. Batstar looked up into the sky.

"I say these words in the honor of StarClan so that they may hear and approve of my choice." Batstar looked Sweetwish dead in the eyes.

"From this day forward, Sweetwish will be the new deputy of StormClan." Batstar announced. In her heart she knew she picked the right deputy. Sweetwish was wise, head-strong and brave. She would lead this Clan well after Batstar.

Sweetwish padded to the front of the group, eyes proud. "Sweetwish! Sweetwish! Sweetwish! Sweetwish!" StormClan chanted Sweetwish's name.

Batstar went on. "I've just one last thing. I will be moving to the nursery and Sweetwish will be the acting leader."

Mews of approval rippled through the clearing. "That is all." Batstar finished, leaping down from the Greatledge. Batstar touched noses with Sweetwish. "You'll be a great deputy, Sweetwish, I know it." Batstar mewed.

Sweetwish dipped her head. "And I know you'll make a great mother." Batstar's eyes lit up. "Thank you so much, Sweetwish." Batstar dipped her head. Sweetwish nodded briefly before going to talk with Brambleheart.

"Moonpaw?" Batstar looked around for her. Moonpaw came up to her. "Yes, Batstar?" Moonpaw asked.

"I am taking you for battle training with Oakpaw." Batstar saw the young tom and beckoned him over with her tail.

"Yes?" Oakpaw sat next to his sister. "I'm taking you battle training. Inform your mentor." Batstar ordered. He nodded and scurried off.

Oakpaw came back in a few moments and they set off for Big Rocks. "How far are you from giving birth?" asked Moonpaw curiously.

"I believe in about a moon." Batstar winced as another jolt of pain washed through her.

"Is it hard having kits inside you?" asked Oakpaw. He looked embarrassed.

"Yes it's very hard," Batstar looked to him. "And it hurts too." Oakpaw nodded.

"When can we become warriors?" Asked Moonpaw, she looked desperate.

"You're only seven moons, not for another while yet." Batstar replied. They arrived at Big Rocks.

"Now, show me your battle crouch." both apprentices went into their best  battle crouch.

"Good, now show me the front paw swipe." both apprentices did the move.

Then Batstar felt very dizzy. "Oh, StarClan I can't do this.." Batstar fell to the ground.

"Batstar!" exclaimed Moonpaw. "I'm alright.. I can make it back to camp." Batstar stood up, Moonpaw and Oakpaw rushed to help her.

They were holding her up as they padded back to camp. They brought her to her den and she laid down.

"Before you go, get Brambleheart to train you two, but before that, please make me a nest in the nursery, you can take this moss here." Batstar passed them her moss and the apprentices darted away.

Batstar looked down at her swollen belly. I can't wait to meet you, kits! Batstar thought hard about how grateful she was to be safe and sound in StormClan.

I live a very great life. Batstar thought to herself. My kits will live an awesome life too. Let's just hope they never have to go through what I did.

Batstar heard a mew at the den entrance. "Come in." she let whoever it was in. "Your nest is ready, do you need help up?" it was Moonpaw. "Okay thank you. No, I should be alright."

Batstar got up. It took a minute for her to find her footing but once she did she exited the den. She saw a large sunset. It was beautiful. Batstar padded over to the nursery and laid down. It was well constructed, she could barely see the sky through it.

Next to her nest she noticed a thrush. Batstar ate it in a few famished gulps, then laid her head down to rest.