1 || Nico

to GuppiesBubbles part of my inspiration for writing this. thank you for answering all my questions and letting me rant about characters you didn't even know yet <3

this is my first time writing an entire story before i publish it for you all to read. i know it'll take you only a few hours to read, but this took me over a month to write. i don't like every sentence that's on here, but i really loved writing it. 

[start date: 6/4/21]
[end date: 7/18/21]

word count : 82.5k

God, Nico could just about kiss the ground in happiness that he was finally back

God, Nico could just about kiss the ground in happiness that he was finally back. His eye catches on a puddle, looking suspiciously yellow, but he can't even bring himself to care. If he weren't in his right mind, maybe he would've shed a tear of joy from seeing the piss stained concrete.

It's gotta be Bear, he's sure of it, but he wouldn't be surprised if it were someone else. He loves his team more than anything, but God do they lack brain cells.

Crickets sound from who knows where, but it doesn't even register in Nico's ears, the sound simply engraved in his senses by now. It's night, but even so, there's no gust of wind, only the humid air that clings to his skin and makes him feel sticky.

He'll need a shower before bed. The thought of sharing showers with 40 other guys almost makes him tear up. Never in his life has he looked forward to seeing so many naked asses and limp dicks until now. He blames his nostalgia on Roman. Only one year older, his brother was absolutely overbearing during their summer break.

All athletes have an off season, he knows, but the thought doesn't make him any less anxious to get back on the field. His hands itched for a real game all summer. While most days consisted of him at the batting cages with Roman or visiting his old little league, nothing could compare to the pressure he feels in a game, the cheers of the crowd, the scorching sun as the ball flies from his fingertips. He could almost get off on it.

Pitchers are greedy, his coach told him once. Nico didn't understand at first, simply nodded and mentally rolled his eyes. Now, as he's entering his third year of college, Nico fully understands. He embraces that greediness to be the only one on the mound, won't let anyone take it from him. They're gonna need to drag him kicking and screaming threats if they want him off.

He's greedy after all.

He should've known, really. From the tender age of six, he's been forced to watch his parents shower his brother in praises, gifting him any reward he wanted after he finished a little league game. Roman, only one year older, seemed so much more loved than him.