12 || Juda

Playing on the field is different with an audience

Playing on the field is different with an audience. It's exhilarating, Juda feels. But he doesn't focus on the audience, or even the other team, but on Nico instead. When Nico's pitching, it's all Juda focuses on. 

Front and center, Nico claims Juda's attention as his and his alone, unwilling to give it back.

And Juda wouldn't have it any other way.

They bring out the best in each other. Juda makes him fucking shine, calling for shots that are risky but worth it, and playing around with every different pitch Nico has.

The Nixon's hardly stood a chance.

Juda and Nico are a powerful battery who hardly fold under stress. If anything, they get off on it, and it gives them that edge the Nixon's lack. In the end, Bailey wins with six runs, outnumbering Nixon's two.

After three long hours, their first game of the season is a success.

⚾️

"Man," Jax chuckles, "What the fuck was up with you today? You came out blazing."

His compliment goes straight to Juda's head. Juda conceals the high he's riding from their win and shrugs with a small smile. "Really wanted to win, I guess." He toys with his empty cup, the wet traces of liquor still beading at the bottom.

"You were great." Jax shakes his head and takes another swig from his beer. "A home run on the first swing? Couldn't fucking believe it. And those pitches you were calling for - I almost felt bad for Nixon."

"They've got strong batters." Juda shrugs, fighting off a grin. "And they know Nico's fastballs. Had to call for something they're not used to."

"Yeah, well," another swig, "it was a hell of a game. Coach might give us the whole fucking week off with the results you gave."

Juda finally lets his grin spread, boyish and full of pride. He waves Jax off and goes on about how it was the team. The team did it, but even he knows today was an especially good day for him.

First game of the fucking season, of course he had to be great. His family was watching, his little sisters holding up handmade signs in the stands. He didn't notice them until the end but when he did, he hit another pitch far into right field, helping Roman secure a run.

He's been buzzing ever since. The few cups of alcohol he's had does little to fizzle his high. And hell - he lets himself knock back as many drinks as he wants. Because he was fucking amazing out there.