15 || Nico

Nico's never had so much whiplash in his entire life

Nico's never had so much whiplash in his entire life. He was just on cloud nine, about to risk their entire relationship to turn Carmen around and kiss him in the water. He was going to say it then, I like you. I like you, I like you, I like you, I like you. He was ready to kiss him and whisper it a million times until they realized he didn't mean as friends.

"So how does it work?" Nico asks. "Are you just.. done with college baseball now?" With us? Are you done with us?

Carmen still hasn't congratulated him.

"No- I don't know. I don't think so." Juda's eyebrows pull together. "But that doesn't matter. That's not why I told you guys. I was gonna wait until after the trip, and yeah, this was meant as some sort of last trip for us, but it's not the same anymore."

"What's not the same?"

"This. Everything. I told Coach yes last night. I wasn't thinking about.. all of this. Everything we had planned. I was just thinking that's it's the Majors." Nico understands. He completely understands, but he can't find the words to tell Juda he does. Because he understands and hates it all at once. "I texted him earlier, told him I changed my mind."

This finally gets a reaction from Carmen. "Juda- what the fuck? No." He sits up and shakes his head. "Why would you do that? It's the fucking Majors. Do you realize how big of a deal that is?"

Of course Juda knows. It's been all of their dreams since they were little, long before they knew each other even existed. From the moment they picked up a baseball bat and felt that driving passion to be something big, someone big, it's been their dreams to be in the Majors.

"We promised-"

"I don't give a fuck about our promise." Carmen's staring at him incredulously. "Some stupid promise that's probably not even gonna come true doesn't compare to something that's right in front of you."

We promised. We all promised.

"The Angels have never been your dream," Carmen continues. "That's Nico's dream. All you care about is being in the Majors and you just got offered a contract for exactly that. You don't need to finish these last two years, spend time in the Minors for experience, and then hopefully get drafted into the Majors. That's.." he breathes out, "Do you know how many people would kill for that?"

Nico always knew he could do it. Juda's always been better than college baseball. The Minors wouldn't even be enough for him. Nico knew back during that first moment on the field that Juda was someone destined to be bigger than all of them.