22 || Nico

The next day, on Juda's eleventh day of absence, Nico's getting a protein bar from the vending machine when his phone rings

The next day, on Juda's eleventh day of absence, Nico's getting a protein bar from the vending machine when his phone rings. It's two hours past their scheduled call time. "I know, I know," Juda immediately starts when Nico picks up. "I totally suck. I'm the worst."

Nico presses F3 for his blueberry protein bar. "Go on."

"I should've called you two hours ago. I should've called you yesterday and the day before that."

Nico hums, not responding.

"How mad are you?"

"Like, on a scale from 1-10?" Nico asks. "Probably a four."

"A four? Isn't that too low?"

Nico's not exactly mad, he's more upset than anything. He tries understanding that Juda can't call, but he doubts Juda's so busy to the point he can't even send them a text. "I told Blu you're a deadbeat dad. You didn't even call to check up on him."

"Is he dead?"

Nico eyes roll. "No, he's not dead. I know how to check on my son." Unlike someone goes left unsaid.

Juda groans, "I'm sorry. Really fucking sorry, I promise. I won't forget again." His words aren't exactly comforting to Nico. Nico feels like a chore now, like he's forcing Juda to call him.

"Just call when you want," Nico grabs his protein bar from the bottom flap. "You're busy, I get it." He wants to tell Juda about the furniture Carmen and him picked out. Nico wants to tell Juda that they finally found a good apartment, one that meets all the requirements and more, but Nico's not exactly in the best mood.

Nico might be acting petty, coming off nonchalant, but he kept his promises, why couldn't Juda? Nico talked to his brother, as hard as it was. He got the courage to apologize, something he never even dreamed of doing. He got a fucking fish, spent four hours at Ikea with Carmen, and won their last game by only one run.

Nico doesn't think he's asking too much from Juda. Just a five minute call, that's all he wants.

Nico silently sighs and pushes past his annoyance. He'd rather not waste this call. As annoyed and worried as he is that Juda seems to be forgetting about them the longer he stays, the need to talk to him is stronger. "Is everything still good? You're not hurt, are you?"

"I'm good," Juda assures. "Practices just run longer here. It's all day." He returns the question, wondering how Nico's been. So, Nico tells him about the furniture, the apartment, the small talks he's had with Roman.