Mary Goeis

"And there's your former employer."
Shanks snickered.

"Seriously?"
I half-glared at him.

"Welcome."
Sengoku greeted the two of us with a slight smile.

I returned the gesture, feeling some kind of warmth since I haven't seen him in a while. Without his usual getup, he seem more relaxed. Well, now that he's not the Fleet Admiral.

But I can tell that the others around him doesn't feel the same. Their eyes were full of wary and hatred towards me. Well, I did betray them not too long ago during a war. So they have every right to hate me. But Shanks isn't taking it too well.

"Hold back your haki, Red Hair. Forgive my subordinates for their behavior. It hasn't been long since the war happened, they're still wary of their surroundings."
Sengoku said as he guided us inside.

With that, Shanks complied and held back his haki. Just returning the glares we received along the way.

It's funny to me how his behavior changed so drastically from when we were on the ship and to now when we're on our way, directly walking up to Mary Goeis. Surrounded by enemies, Shanks turned so serious and harsh looking when he's actually a cinnamon bun glazed with sugar and marshmallows.

"I thought Spandam would be the one greeting us."
I looked around.

"He's not appropriate enough to do that."
Sengoku shook his head.

Well, I've known that he doesn't like Spandam since the beginning. But this is surprising. It's usually a CP member who would guide people like us up here.

People like us, huh...

Arriving at the top floor, we found ourselves surrounded by royal soldiers as the elevator door opened. They all stood straight, staring deep at us as we walked down to the Five Elder's office.

I've been to Mary Goeis before, for some kind of Marine work. But it is my first time after that. The impression it left me was very strong. A very, very disgusting first impression.

"I'm sorry."
I mumbled as I stepped on the 'automatic' road.

My conscience is telling me not to step on it, but it is the only way leading up to where they are.

The heavy smell of slave labor filled every nook and cranny of this place. I can imagine the cries, yells, and sufferings of the slaves right under the cover of these luxuries.

"It'll pass soon."
Shanks whispered to me.

I nodded and smiled thankfully at this small distraction he gave me. It gave me an idea instead.

I have to look for that plant here.

____________________________

"Oh? Why are you looking for those?"
Sengoku asked me after I asked him about it.

"It's my hobby, remember?"
I smiled.

Although, it's not a complete lie, I feel pretty bad for not telling him everything.

"Ah.. right! You like to keep plants. Well, I heard that there's a lot of those here. I'll tell someone to get it for you."
He shrugged.

"Thanks."
I smiled and we continue our way.

_______________________________

Right in front of the large gates where the elders are, Sengoku stopped before any of us opened the door.

"I can only take you up to here."
He said apologetically.

Then appeared the CP0 members right behind us. They're the ones guarding this door after all. Soon, one of them opened the door for us and we were greeted by the elders already in the room, ready for a little tea party.