ten.

chapter ten

[ season 2 | episode 5][ venomous ]

[ venomous ]

MARLOWE REMEMBERED SIMPLE TIMES. The memories were faded, sure, but there. She remembered messing around with her older brother in the grocery store, seeing her little sisters baby face for the first time, being tucked into bed by her father. She remembered their funeral, healing with her mother, mourning together and patching up any broken pieces.

She knew those memories would be washed away soon. That new and scary ones would take their place. But they became a clutch in moments like these, when her heart would pound against her rib cage, begging for freedom. When she would jump in her seat and her hairs would stand on end.

Everyone swiveled their heads to Lydia, watching her flinch and cry out in terror. The smell stuck to her like perfume, making both of the werewolves cringe and glance at one another.

Tears streaked down her pale face, as she pleaded. The cries made something inside of Marley break. Then she saw what was making Lydia so scared. Everyone fell away, the desks now devoid of anything except for the two girls. At the board was a third person, their gelled hair and leather jacket unmistakeable. She felt her heart beg for mercy.

          He spared her a glance before stalking towards Lydia, his movements slow yet furious. He turned desks over, sending them flying against others and creating too much noise. Too much noise, too much noise, too much noise. Marlowe didn't know if she was still breathing.

          Lydia's eyes met her and her lungs seized, panic taking her by the throat. She felt every cell inside numb. Her body nearly went slack, tears dragging along her skin. Peter almost reached Lydia. He was going to kill her. He was going to kill her. He was going to kill her.

          "Marlowe?" And then he fell away.

          Instead, she looked up to see Scott and Stiles both staring back, the two boys worried. Not just for her. At the board, Lydia held a white piece of chalk, incomprehensible words scrawled against the green behind her. Coach began circling, calling her name cautiously.

          "He was going to kill her," Marley whispered.

          She saw those mascara tears, and felt some on her own cheeks. None of that was real, yet both girls saw it.

          Suddenly, the strawberry blonde seemed to snap back, gasping and sobbing. She found Marley's eyes before looking around the entirety of the room, scanning for Peter Hale.