twenty-three.

chapter twenty-three

[ season 2 | episode 12 ][ masterplan ]

[ masterplan ]

               WHEN MARLEY WAS A LITTLE GIRL, her favorite story was Little Red Riding Hood. She loved when her father read it to her, and loved dressing up for the hooded heroine for Halloween, and she loved the wolf.

          Unusual to most kids, the wolf quickly became her favorite character. For some unexplainable reason, Marley St. Claire adored the villain in the story. She loved the idea of wolves, the idea of something so strong and graceful. With that information, one could most certainly call little Marlowe an unnatural child.

          She loved Maleficent's cold exterior, Ursula's manipulation, Scar's vengeance. The villains always ended up being some of her favorite characters. So, yes, Marley was a strange child. Unnatural. All her life, she's adored these monsters mostly over the hero. Perhaps it was a sign she'd became one herself. One of those wolves, strong and graceful. Perhaps there was something in the Universe tying her to that date, deciding she would become the thing she fell so in love with as a child.

          That love fell away, though, in the eighth grade. Her class was doing a project on mythical creatures and she chose the mighty werewolf. That project made pieces fall into place, made her see things she never saw before. It opened the truth of what happened to her family. That day, sitting in the library and researching lycanthropy, Marley swore to hate wolves until the day she died. Funny how she became one.

          The alleyway was dark, fog crawling through it with no trouble, and Marley couldn't count how many rats crawled past on two hands. She got out of the car before anyone else, stretching her body quickly and allowing her eyes to adjust. With all of the adrenaline she'd gone through, her fatigue became palpable. From that and running on a few hours of sleep throughout the years. All in all, she was used to feeling tired, and it had almost no affect on the girl.

          It took another moment for everyone else to join her, piling out one by one, and for Isaac to linger on the body bag. "I think he stopped moving," he said, the words causing Marley to check the backseat once more. Lying still was the bag, within it, a boy too power-hungry for his own good.

          Nobody else acknowledged it, though, as the two others stared into the alley, necks craned. Argent looked over them all once more before speaking to Scott. "Where's Derek?"

          The only answer was a man, a wolf, running full speed through the alley, his red eyes brightening his face. He stopped short, doing an entire front flip, before landing on his knees, one hand resting on the ground. Dramatic. Those red eyes still pierced the older man's. "Someone certainly enjoys making an entrance." She heard it in the distance, fighting off chills because of the man it came from.