twenty-four

chapter twenty-four

[ season 3a | episode 1 ][ tattoo ]

[ tattoo ]

SUMMER CLUNG TO HER LIKE A SECOND SKIN. It made its way into every one of her pores, sneaking into the thin fabric of her shirt and beneath her blanket of curls. Marley was hot. The sun beat down on the four wolves as they marched towards the remains of a charred house, each one sweating as they did.

          She had no idea why they were at the Hale house, or why Peter was still around, but she could tell it was a serious situation. Or perhaps she was just reading Derek wrong. Everything always seemed serious when the sour-wolf, she learned the nickname from Stiles, was around.

          Her head swung between everyone as she walked, staring at each individual and evaluating their moods. Me. Magnificent was just as confused as she, sour-wolf had his regular serious impression, while psychopathic alpha looked amused. She got nothing from the observations, all of them usually supporting those expressions.

          "Is anyone gonna tell us why we're out in the middle of the Preserve?" she asked, annoyance laced into each word. She truly didn't appreciate being dragged anywhere without an explanation.

          Derek glanced at the girl before rolling his eyes. "Be patient, Marley. We're almost to the house."

          She stayed quiet for the minute they were still walking, as the house had come into view quite a while before. When they reached it, she leaned against a tree, shooting daggers at Derek as she did.

          "You haven't told them everything yet, have you?" Peter, standing just behind Isaac, asked. He looked between the two betas, a sense of anxiety rushing through them both. What else could there be? They'd already faced hunters and a giant lizard. And a psychopathic boy hellbent on killing.

          Isaac looked back, meeting eyes with Marley. "What do you mean?"

          Peter leaned against a tree just like her, still acknowledging the two as he spoke, something he needed to work on. "Why do you think Derek was in such a hurry to build his pack? So eager to strengthen his power and his number?" Finally, he looked around and met eyes with Marlowe. "When there's a new Alpha, people take notice."

          Isaac, not caring for the dancing around the point, sighed. "People like who? What is this?" He pointed towards the door, where a new mark stained the wood. "What does this mean?"

          Derek took one step forward, still sporting his blank expression. Even when giving bad news, the man didn't know how to express his emotion. "It's their symbol. And it means they're coming."

          Marley straightened out, walking up the steps to the porch and closer to Isaac, one of the only people to ease the overwhelming anxiety. "Who, Derek? Who is coming?"