four.

chapter four

[ season 2 | episode 2 ][ shape shifted ]

[ shape shifted ]

               PULLING HER LACROSSE JERSEY OVER HER HEAD, Marlowe tried to get her mind away from the nightmare last night. Because of the jolt it sent through her, she never went back to sleep— deciding to clean instead. The night terror's weren't a rare occurrence, but she'd eventually learned to cope with them. Or, at least, some of them.

Whenever she closed her eyes, she could see flames dancing across her eyelids. And when she walked closer to her locker, she could feel the heat sliding into every single one of her pores.

Squeezing her eyes tight and taking a breath, she let her body cool down. There is no fire. There is no heat. Repeating the words like a mantra, she could feel some sense of calm washing over her. They were a clutch; something to pull her back into the unrelenting claws of reality. Despite having witnessed so much tragedy in her short life, she still preferred the real world over the dreams her mind would accumulate.

Cherishing one last moment of peace, she walked into the hallway. Boys traveled in and out of their locker room, a musky, Axe-like scent following their every move. She crinkled her nose at it. Marley never really liked Axe cologne.

Finally, after waiting for nearly twenty minutes while just picking at the dirt under her nails, she looked up to find all of the boys heading out to the field. Her eyes scanned the crowd for one in particular. With ears studying every voice in the haze of sounds, she tried to find his but landed on Scott's instead.

"No, it's not Marlowe. Her smell isn't like that. There's a new wolf." Her breath caught in her throat at his words, a tight feeling forming in her chest.

McCall knew about Isaac, meaning he'd do anything to uncover the boy during practice. If she went to him now, he would definitely know that Lahey was the new wolf but if she didn't go to him, he might not know that they know. Weighing the two, she decided to just follow the group out onto the field.

          While dumb and dumber were immersed in conversation about her and her new friend, Marley sat next to the beta. His curls bounced, one falling messily onto his forehead, as he looked up at her. "Marlowe?"

          This time, it was an external cringe. "Please just call me Marley," she said, her lacrosse stick falling onto the grass in front of them. "Stiles and Scott are onto you. They know there's a new wolf— just not who. Be careful around them, Isaac."

          "Yea, I know. I heard them in the locker room. Don't worry, Marley. I got this." He wore a cocky smirk, a stark contrast to the shy and nervous boy who she bumped into the other day. She knew the bite changed people, she just hoped it didn't change him like that permanently.