thirteen.

chapter thirteen

[ season 2 | episode 6 ][ frenemy ]

[ frenemy ]

               "WE HAVE A SLIGHT PROBLEM," Stiles said, his voice crackling through her phone's water damaged and old speaker.

          As the first lights of dawn peeked through her curtains and the cold air of California's mornings prickled at her legs, Marley groaned into the phone. She'd fallen asleep as soon as her back fell upon her bed, the dome of nothingness sliding over her mind without complaint. The night went as usual, with a constant display of memories she'd rather forget, until the incessant ringing of her device pulled her back into the clutches of consciousness. She groaned again.

          Pulling herself to a sit, she held back a yawn. "We don't have anything." She put emphasis on it, making sure her name wasn't attached to whatever idiotic thing he and Scott pulled. "What's the problem?"

          Sitting through a long and tiring explanation from Stiles Stilinski, she felt all remnants of drowsy sleep fall from her face, an awareness sliding over her mind. Her eyes widened, heart pausing and stomach clenching. "You did what? Stilinski, you can't just—"

          "Can't just kidnap people, yes, I know. Scott already gave me the whole lecture."

          Marley ran a hand over her face, trying to comprehend whatever the hell she'd just gotten pulled into. "Yea, maybe you should've listened to him."

          She could hear a faint snicker in the background, followed by a slap. "Oh, whatever. Just get to the Preserve. And quick."

A quick, final beep ended the call, leaving Marley to stare into her brightened bedroom. She felt her shoulders sag, everything from last night rushing back into the forefront of her mind. Everything from the past week pulling at her stomach and pinching her gut. How the hell did things get like this?

Not even a month ago, she was a loner. She spent her afternoons researching lycanthropy and reading all the articles about the attack on her family, using her energy to simply try and piece everything together. Now she wasn't even human. Now, she was the last St. Claire alive, the last to breathe.

She was the only living St. Claire, yet she barely even felt alive.

Just a few weeks ago, she could only imagine what a werewolf looked like using the things she'd looked up. Just a few weeks ago, Stiles and Scott were just the annoying kids in class. Just a few weeks ago, Lydia was the it girl, Allison was the pretty new girl, and Jackson was simply the co-captain of the lacrosse teams. A few weeks ago, she didn't know Derek or Gerard or Peter.