twenty-one.

chapter twenty-one

[ season 2 | episode 11 ][ battlefield ]

[ battlefield ]

AS SHE LOOKED UP, eyes scanning the large locker room, Marley tried to shake off some nerves. Gear clung to her shoulders, her jersey feeling constrictive as boys got themselves hyped up around her, and she dragged a large breath of air shakily into her lungs. She could feel a presence beside her, the comfort of knowing that Scott would be there making her muscles relax the slightest bit.

And then she saw Jackson, and her body tightened up once more. His blank face, mixed with that endless stare he managed to hold on her, made her stomach tie into a thousand tiny knots. She could feel anxiety as it flooded her veins and brought a heaviness to the tips of her fingers. Tightening her hands into fists, she looked away.

Scott brushed his shoulder against hers, the slightest touch helping to calm her anger. He pursed his lips, eyes still locked on the boy who currently caused all of their problems. Jackson stared into his locker, Danny trying to get his attention, asking meaningless questions. She was curious, yes, but the idea of hearing his voice simply made her seethe. So she didn't listen in, knowing Scott was. And by the look on his face, it wasn't good.

Instead of letting that fill her mind, Marley moved. She found a place nestled between Stiles and another sweaty boy, ignoring the look that the pale, skinny boy gave her. Coach carried his small speaker in his hand, prepared to give what was supposed to be a motivational, last-game speech.

"Good morning," he began, eyes locking with each of his players as his rasp fell through the crackled speaker. As he started, Melissa McCall slid in, making the smallest bit of eye contact with the lone girl on the team. "In less than an hour, aircraft from here will be joining others from around the world."

Scott's mom looked around even more, eyebrows frowning as she took in the start to Coach's speech. "And you will be launching the largest aerial battle in the history of mankind."

Marley sighed, fidgeting with a loose nail. Yes, the famous Independence Day speech that Bobby Finstock memorized. The one and only speech he knew. And the speech that he, apparently, always gave. She almost felt honored to be hearing it now.

"What?" Melissa's curls bounced, head swinging while she looked around. It was comical; a mother wanting to wish her son good luck but falling upon the idiocy of his coach. She tapped Stiles' shoulder, drawing his, and the girl beside him's, attention. "What the hell is he talking about?"

Marley snickered, tuning out the long speech to listen to whatever was happening beside her. Her teammate sighed, shaved head shaking as he offered whatever answer he could. "He does this every year."

Melissa looked to the girl, brows raised. "Seriously? Both teenagers agreed. The sentiment was stupid, yes, but it became a lacrosse tradition. An irregular, unfit speech for a group of rowdy boys. And the one girl.